PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Whipping cream to use up. Ideas?

Options
Cooking a 3 course meal for parents tomorrow night, everything sorted except desert. We have a large pot of whipping cream that didn't get used boxing day, and hope to incorporate this in tomorrow's desert. Any ideas?

I'm popping to Asda in the morning, so can pick up any ingredients I may need.

Thanks in advance for any waste-saving ideas!

Comments

• Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    A cream tea with scones and strawberry jam.
  • kay41_2
    kay41_2 Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    ice cream made with strawberries and crushed meringue - frozen in a cling film lined bowl, then popped out and sliced - easy and tasted fab!

Also, I made cholcolate parfait for xmas day which is a sort of frozen chocolate mousse. I used whipped cream, butter, egg yolks and melted plain chocolate and it was really tasty - very velvety. I'm sure you could easily find a recipe on the internet.

Have fun!
  • nanamags
    nanamags Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    This is a very nice dessert. Amareto biscuits, frozen raspberries, honey, fromage frais. Whip the cream and add the fromage frais. Layer the broken biscuits, raspberries, honey and cream mixture in individual wine glasses.

I find using the cream alone is rather rich but adding the fromage frais makes it lighter. If available you can soak the biscuits in some Amareto liquer.

Hope this helps

Mags
    :hello: N:hello:A :hello:N :hello:A :hello:M :hello:A :hello:G :hello:S :hello:
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Trifle?............
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Nigella did something about Mont blanc, I think it was whipped cream, crushed meringues, something else and dusted with icing sugar, a sort of variation on Eton mess but looked better.
    This weekend I used the recipe for 'very boozy pudding' which was given on here a while ago, here it is again . Everybody loved it. I whipped quark as well as cream and added a bit of sugar to it. I also used a bit of cream between the biccies to stick them together.
    very simple very boozy pudding
    Get a couple of packs of decent chocolate chip cookies

DIP them into sherry for a couple of seconds and then pile into a log shape. Whip some fresh cream with creme fraiche and just spread over it. Crumble a flake or two

• beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm planning an an apple charlotte ( stewed apple layered up with breadcrumbs browned in the frying pan with some sugar for added crunch, topped with whipped cream). You could also make meringues? If it's a large pot you could have some tomorrow, soured with a spoon of lemon-juice and make beef stroganoff?
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • FrenchMaid_2
    Options
    Nigella's Lemon Ice Cream - dead easy to make, a hit with visitors - I have friends who ask me to make it for when they come round - no one believes me when I say that I can make this ice cream in 10 minutes and then put it in the freezer and forget about it: here is the link
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sandy2 wrote: »
    Nigella did something about Mont blanc, I think it was whipped cream, crushed meringues, something else and dusted with icing sugar, a sort of variation on Eton mess but looked better.

Hi

The 'something' else in Mont Blanc is chestnut puree, you can buy it canned in some supermarket or make your own if you have some chestnuts (boil them in the skin, then peel and mash them - add a bit of sugar if you want but they are already naturally sweet).

I LOVE the stuff, in Italy they sell it ready made in patisseries and I really miss it - but my hips and thighs don't hehehe

Happy New Year

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • cam101
    cam101 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all of those delicious ideas, I have bought a variety of things including meringue, almond thins, raspberries... and hope to use some of the above ideas to sort of layer them all up. I might do it in my big wine glasses to make it look really nice!

Happy New Year
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport