Working While on Maternity Leave

Hi everyone

I am 21 weeks pregnant and desperate to clear some debts.

My company gives me 6 months full pay when the baby is born due 12may 08. I wanted to take on extra work either from home or something while pregnant after my day job and then and while on maternity leave but would that affect my maternity pay? Or i was thinking about just working for the next 20 weeks doing something untill the baby was here but what i dont know.

Does anyone know if i can work and still claim maternity pay from my current employer?

Thanks for reading :o

Comments

• chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    summer78 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I am 21 weeks pregnant and desperate to clear some debts.

My company gives me 6 months full pay when the baby is born due 12may 08. I wanted to take on extra work either from home or something while pregnant after my day job and then and while on maternity leave but would that affect my maternity pay? Or i was thinking about just working for the next 20 weeks doing something untill the baby was here but what i dont know.

Does anyone know if i can work and still claim maternity pay from my current employer?

Thanks for reading :o

It looks like your employer is giving more tham the minimum for statutory maternity pay so you would need to check with them what their rules are. If they have no special objections then rules for SMP working are here
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/ni17a/smp/smp_16.asp
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Sorry to butt in, but its hard work being pg and hard work being a mum, please dont over do it and take life easily!
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • Mumolu
    Mumolu Posts: 45 Forumite
    I honestly suggest that you check with your current employer. I was unable to do this, or if I did I had to tell them and my pay would be stopped I think. It all depends on your employer and their terms of maternity pay.
    If you are getting full pay, which is blooming fantastic (!) I doubt if your employer would let you be employed elsewhere, but I really would check with them first. If you went ahead and did it without checking you may have to pay a lot of it back, and may have to pay a fine?? :confused: If they allow it then good for you! Get the money in!! :T

HTH
    :dance:
  • thanks for all of the advice everyone. I have taken this on board and realised that now (being 6 months pregnant) is not the time to be killing myself with work. I am trying to juggle finances around instead.

Thanks again
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family