We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

£2 cap vs academic year 24-25 pass

Options
My son (11) needs to travel by public bus to school.  The academic year pass is about £750.  There is a £2 fare cap until Dec 24, which I’m told includes return tickets.  If this is extended again to the full year, it’s a definite saving to stick with buying return tickets.  If it increases to £2.50 (it was going to increase to this in September until the £2 cap was extended) it is still cheaper to continue with return tickets.  However, I concerned it may end up more expensive not to have bought the academic year pass if the fare returns to the original cost or increases.  Can anyone make an educated guess about what is likely to happen with the fare cap for next year?  Does anyone know if the bus companies are likely to offer a part-year pass if the cap is scrapped?  An added complication is £750 will be hard for us to find at the moment - although not impossible, it will hurt.  There are no options to reduce this cost (I have already explored that).  

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Its not a return its a £2 single fare cap.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Also, the £2 cap is a Conservative policy, which may or may not continue under a different government.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The £750 is marginally cheaper than 190 days @ £4 per day (£760). ,Can you buy the academic pass later in the year....January or after Easter,?
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,260 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    The £750 is marginally cheaper than 190 days @ £4 per day (£760). ,Can you buy the academic pass later in the year....January or after Easter,?
    It would make sense to stick with £2 fares I would think.  If you're son is off sick, there are snow days or strikes or the school has to close for whatever reason you will pay more with year pass as well as having to fork out a lump sum.  Unless the pass includes travel at weekends or evenings which he might use which might make it worthwhile.

• Seesea
    Seesea Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you all!  Sorry I’m not sure how to reply individually on here.  Yes I have it wrong, it’s a single fare cap, so £4 per day as you guys have pointed out.  I’ve realised 1 day per week he won’t be able to catch the bus due to an after school club (the end of school bus is the last bus), so just that makes enough difference to make paying per day better.  Except the academic year pass is an anywhere/anytime pass - which I didn’t realise before.  So if he gets all grown up and wants to go travelling into town on the bus or visiting friends in other villages that might be a saving.  I think I’ll see how it goes paying as we go and review it next year.  Unfortunately the academic year pass is September to September only - although I did wonder if they’d be kind and let me pay part a fair proportion part way through the year if the price cap changes.  Thanks again for your help!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback