We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE Poll: Are you a renter - and how much does it cost you?

Options
Poll started 11 June 2024

Average monthly rental costs are up an average of 9.4% across the UK, so this week we want to know how much your rent costs as a proportion of your income. Take your monthly income (this could be from your salary, pension, as well as any benefits) and let us know roughly what percentage of this is spent on your rent on a monthly basis. If you have joint finances, please give your costs as a proportion of your total household income.

Let us know!

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My rent is £625 monthly 1 bed flat

I started renting in June 2019 and my rent was £595 2 bed flat, all electric

Moved March 2020 2 bed flat £595 monthly different area, all electric

Moved January 2021 2 bed flat flat, £595 monthly increased to £625 January 2022, dual fuel

Moved February 2023 1 bed flat £625 monthly same area. Dual fuel

No change since

My Rent is 50% of my pensions but due to lower running costs I am better off 
  • horsewithnoname
    horsewithnoname Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Fortunately I own my own home, because if I was renting I couldn’t afford anything like the home I live in. Rents have rocketed and wages haven’t, so all the people I know who rent are spending an ever higher percentage of their pay on rent. It’s a disgrace, but this is where we are. And now there is no one with the desire to change things for the better. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback