We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

TFL bus routes not accepting Oyster

Options
I've noticed some classic looking buses in Central London which don't accept Oyster, and the driver says its a £2 charge for the bus. These are on normal TFL bus routes, which I've travelled before at the £1.75 fare, on Oyster as usual, eg route 15 as the most recent example. 

I haven't gone far enough to check but I suspect this means they also aren't going to sync well with the hopper fare and daily capping either. They also seem indistinguishable from normal buses on the indicator boards at bus stops. 

My question is whether this is allowed and why? Passengers would naturally plan journeys based on using these buses, and are then left with the choice of paying more (and losing out on hopper savings if its part of a longer journey) or waiting for another normal bus, thus delaying your journey. 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 12,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 31 May at 12:12PM
    Options
    The Heritage Routemasters (eg the T15 route) are not run by TFL or in contract with them hence why they dont accept Oyster, have different pricing and dont form part of the hopper fair. The Route 15 which are modern buses are TFL

No part of the TFL network has the old route masters (nor the bendy bus) any more, route 15 was the last one that did but it stoped several years ago a private company started the T15
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback