We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Long Term empty premium - Levelling-up and Regeneration Act 2023

Options
I purchased a property in Dec23 which was not at a stage where it could be furnished straight away, due to renovation works needed. I was hoping to extend the property via permitted development, which was recently refused, so I have now applied for Planning. I will not hear back re the planning application until July. A few days ago I received an email stating that my council tax will be doubling due to the new Levelling-up and Regeneration Act 2023. This is because my property has been unfurnished & unoccupied for a year. I have explained that I have not been the owner for a year yet, however the council have advised that I am still required to pay the additional fee. 

Surely I cannot be penalised for a period where I was not the owner of the property & the fee should come into effect once I have been the owner for a year or more? 

Is anyone able to advise how I can go about this. Other than dumping some furniture there & sending the council photos ? 

Any advice welcomed ! 

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,753 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The council are correct in law in applying the empty property premium. Change of ownership does not "restart the clock", the premium is payable due to the length of time the property has been continuously unoccupied
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure