We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Remortgage after fixed rate

Options
indianqueen
indianqueen Posts: 4 Newbie
First Post
edited 22 May at 2:31PM in Mortgages & endowments
Our fixed rate expires on the 2/7/24 smack bang in the middle of interest rates being potentially cut either in June or August. Any advice on what you would do? Is it best to just stay on the current lenders Standard Rate for a month or so (no idea how much this would end up costing us longer term)? Any advice appreciated. Feels like a bit of a dilemma! 

Comments

• CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Depends how confident you are that an interest rate cut will actually happen (unfortunately none of us have a crystal ball !).
    But if you're of the opinion that a cut is more likely than not, then I'd stick with their SVR for a couple months.  That then gives the option of shopping around at a later date with hopefully no exit penalties.  Do check the T&Cs of your particular mortgage carefully, but usually you're only subject to an early redemption penalty if you're on a fixed/capped/discounted rate deal.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 May at 10:42AM
    Options
    Predicted interest rates cuts will already be priced into rates available now.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,218 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. I will ask the forum team to move this to the mortgage board.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • indianqueen
    First Post
    Options
    Depends how confident you are that an interest rate cut will actually happen (unfortunately none of us have a crystal ball !).
    But if you're of the opinion that a cut is more likely than not, then I'd stick with their SVR for a couple months.  That then gives the option of shopping around at a later date with hopefully no exit penalties.  Do check the T&Cs of your particular mortgage carefully, but usually you're only subject to an early redemption penalty if you're on a fixed/capped/discounted rate deal.
    Thank you. Not as confident this afternoon to be honest! Just feels like we're going to be right in the middle of a potential change. Might just stick with the SVR for a few months to see what happens. And good point to check our T&C's. Thank you ! 
  • indianqueen
    First Post
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Oh really? 
  • indianqueen
    First Post
    Options
    silvercar said:
    Welcome to the forum. I will ask the forum team to move this to the mortgage board.
    Thank you! I did try to find the mortgage board but too new I think! Unsure how this all works yet! Appreciate it 🙂
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    edited 23 May at 7:00AM
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Oh really? 
    Lenders base their rates on swap rates which change every single day and are very complex and designed to take into account the rates now, and where they think they will go in the future.

Unless something really unexpected happens then they should stay stable or just fluctuate up and down a little. I wouldn't expect them to reduce if the base rate reduces because they have likely already factored in a drop if that's how the market has been looking.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    Options
    It's not worth it. 
    Any cut will be .25% (from 5.25 to 5) at best.

You'd pay far more interest in a couple of mo than on SVR than You'd save in 2 or 5 years on a deal 0.25% less than what you're offered now
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Oh really? 
    Yes, really.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family