inheriting state pension

Options
Hi, I am getting conflicting views on this, can anyone help? My husband passed away 2022 age 50yrs, we got married in 2009. am entitled to any of his state pension when  I reach pension age? 

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless his pension entitlement was above the new pension maximum so had a protected amount then no.  As you both would reach retirement after April 2016 and he passed away after that date then the only inheritance would be half the protected amount if he had one.  The April 2016 pension removed the old basis of husband being responsible for their spouse and is very much down to your own entitlement.
  • vickyholly
    vickyholly Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    molerat said:
    Unless his pension entitlement was above the new pension maximum so had a protected amount then no.  As you both would reach retirement after April 2016 and he passed away after that date then the only inheritance would be half the protected amount if he had one.  The April 2016 pension removed the old basis of husband being responsible for their spouse and is very much down to your own entitlement.
    thanks, this is what I was told and believed until today, unfortunately there is a lot of confusion on a young widows group I am on
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    molerat said:
    thanks, this is what I was told and believed until today, unfortunately there is a lot of confusion on a young widows group I am on
    A lot of the confusion arises because people are not aware of the transitional rules where both date of birth and date of death are important. 
  • FIREmenow
    FIREmenow Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you looked into bereavement support payment? 
    https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment/eligibility
    There's is also currently a time-limited window for backdated payment following (I think) a court ruling if eligible.
  • Suzycoll
    Suzycoll Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I am getting conflicting views on this, can anyone help? My husband passed away 2022 age 50yrs, we got married in 2009. am entitled to any of his state pension when  I reach pension age? 
    the short answer is no - sorry . Molerat has a helpful reply
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure