Have I passed my probation?

Options
My original probation was 3 months but my boss found out I was looking at other jobs and extended my probation to 6 months. The 6 month period lapsed 2 weeks ago and she has signed me up for training in a couple months time. Can I assume I’ve passed? I’d ask my employer but they aren’t very professional and asking could cause more bother than it’s worth. 

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    E-mail your manager for confirmation that you have passed your probation.  In reality it makes little difference as you have little job security until you have been employed for 2 years.  It may affect how much notice you have to give, sick pay entitlement etc so it is worth checking.
  • LinLui
    LinLui Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 2:36PM
    Options
    I'd look at your contract. Is there any benefit to you in passing probation? Legally speaking, if you've passed your end date without being told otherwise,  then you've passed. If there's a benefit to you in raising it,  then do. If not,  I'd be tempted to say nothing and just keep the knowledge to yourself. If you ever need to know that fact,  then you can point it out. But if you think raising it has no benefit and don't trust your employer ( which you suggest you don't), I'd keep it to myself and not raise any questions.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to wonder about the type of employer who extends your probation not for any reason to do with your performance, but becuase you are looking at other jobs.

I firmly believe that even if you are 100% happy in your role, there is benefit to keeping an eye on the market so you know what is happening in the wider world!
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wyndham said:
    I have to wonder about the type of employer who extends your probation not for any reason to do with your performance, but becuase you are looking at other jobs.

I firmly believe that even if you are 100% happy in your role, there is benefit to keeping an eye on the market so you know what is happening in the wider world!
    ...but possibly not always wise to let your employer know what you're doing, especially if (as in OP's case) they've only been in post for a matter of weeks.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,414 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Reminds me of the time I was told my contract wasn't going to be renewed.  I asked what contract as I had been given a permanent job.  I was then told I wasn't being retained because I hadn't done X, Y & Z and had repeatedly done A, B & C instead for the entire year.  I asked when I had been told I was doing things wrong.  Really tied them up in knots.  So I'd keep it to yourself and wait until they say something to you, or not.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback