🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Charges

Options
Hi  I’ve just received a document giving me a thorough update on my pension performance ,  it’s currently sitting at around 430 000 and is invested through fidelity and is 3 cautious funds .
as usual  the first thing that jumped out was the charges, all in I was just over 7000 for the year,    That’s for everything .does that seem a lot or pretty normal ?

I could breakdown the charges in more detail if would help get an idea whats what  

Comments

• booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 336 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May at 12:36PM
    Options
    1.6% or so - is that just the platform charge, or all charges (including charges wrapped into the funds, OCR etc). How are those funds set up, passive/active or a mixture of both?

Generally I'd say 1.6% would be on the highish end. Active funds may outperform passive, but that's not really the picture over the long term. If you were purely invested in passive funds on a low cost platform I'd expect no higher than 0.45%.

• johnnyren
    johnnyren Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My fees are going on as follows 
    service fee £865
    ongoing charges to figures £3.329
    ongoing transaction costs £878
    advisor ongoing fees £2.164
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks about right for an actively managed portfolio, could get it for less if a passive portfolio 
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,727 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the first thing that jumped out was the charges, all in I was just over 7000 for the year,    That’s for everything .does that seem a lot or pretty normal ?
    Its normal if you have an adviser AND managed funds are being used.     Its double the cost if you have an adviser and index trackers are being used.     

If you don't have an adviser, then it is very high.   An adviser should be around 0.5-0.75% on that value.  So, take the case I have just finished this morning:
    Adviser 0.50%
    platform 0.15%
    funds 0.18%
    Total 0.83%
    (if there are transaction charges, these are typically ignored. They have to be disclosed but its a synthetic figure and flawed and ignored by most.   Transaction charges are often around 0.0x%)

I could breakdown the charges in more detail if would help get an idea whats what  
    It would

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Beddie
    Beddie Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    johnnyren said:
    service fee £865
    Do you value the adviser? What do they do each year for their £2,164? You can stop paying that and only pay one-off fees for future advice as needed. But if you feel it's worthwhile that is fine.
  • Bostonerimus1
    Bostonerimus1 Posts: 611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 1:26PM
    Options
    Investment costs and fees are going to depend on the platform you use, how much you buy and sell, the type of fund you own, eg active vs passive, investment trust, open ended or ETFs etc etc and other charges like if you pay an advisor. 1.6% sounds high to me, but I DIY in the USA and my only cost is my fund fees and they average out to 0.07%. Whether 1.6% is good value for money really depends on what services you are getting.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,727 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    johnnyren said:
    service fee £865
    The transaction costs can be ignored.   
    Ongoing charges are around 0.77% which indicates managed funds.   Managed funds are always more expensive than passive funds. (passive is around 0.1x% from a spread)
    Adviser charge of 0.50% is where you would expect it to be.
    platform charge of 0.20% is not bad.   Others are now coming in cheaper but its in the expected ballpark.

Overall, exactly what you would expected when managed funds are used.   You could ask the adviser to limit the portfolio to passive funds and that will reduce charges.  It may or may not reduce returns but if you are "cost focused" rather than "returns focused" then passive is the way to go.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MetaPhysical
    MetaPhysical Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 1:52PM
    Options
    I recently moved out £70000 out of a passive zombie fund when it was charging me 1.2%.  I then closed it.  That was with Utmost and I moved it to Aviva where I am charged 0.3% all-in at my employer discounted rates.

Depending on how old you are charges that high could make a huge difference to your eventual pension pot size.  I suggest you investigate this as a matter of some urgency and if need be move out.
  • johnnyren
    johnnyren Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently moved out £70000 out of a passive zombie fund when it was charging me 1.2%.  I then closed it.  That was with Utmost and I moved it to Aviva where I am charged 0.3% all-in at my employer discounted rates.

Depending on how old you are charges that high could make a huge difference to your eventual pension pot size.  I suggest you investigate this as a matter of some urgency and if need be move out.
    Thanks for all replies ,     Yes this was what was concerning me slightly ,   I’m coming up for 60 ,   I’ve retired and went part time ,    I’m taking a drawdown of 17 000 a year.      I’ll get full state pension at 67.     But that’s a fair amount going out each year till then and beyond 
  • More_complicated_than_that
    Options

johnnyren said:
    ... it’s currently sitting at around 430 000 and is invested through fidelity and is 3 cautious funds .
    ... the charges, all in I was just over 7000 for the year,  
    johnnyren said:
    Thanks for all replies ,     Yes this was what was concerning me slightly ,   I’m coming up for 60 ,   I’ve retired and went part time ,    I’m taking a drawdown of 17 000 a year.      I’ll get full state pension at 67.     But that’s a fair amount going out each year till then and beyond 
    Wow! So you basically take £24,000 out of the pension each year and you only keep 70% of that!!!!!!!! And tthat's before tax. I just did a quick google for an online calculator and came with this as one of the first: https://moneyed.co.uk/calculators/fees It's not the best one in the world but chuck in £430,000, no monthly contributions and your 1.6% and compare that to an alternative fee of, say, 0.3% (e.g. a low cost platform with low-cost index funds). You can find better calculators that show graphs with different fee levels. This one does it a bit but is less personalisable: https://www.pensionworks.co.uk/pension-calculator/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure