🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

VAT on company truck now business has been sold

Options
Hi, I am completely over my head with this.

I ran a coffee roasting business and purchased a truck to help transport coffee, equipment etc.

After a few years I sold my business and all equipment but kept the truck. I did use an accountant paid all due vat etc. when the business was sold.

I now need to sell the truck, it is in my name as the registered keeper not the business

When I sell the truck do I have to show some sort of VAT invoice, I don't own the company any more and I am not personally VAT registered any more - I was also a sole trader not a ltd. company if that helps.

Some one asked 'did you sell the truck to yourself' I am unsure If i should have done this but the answer was no

Please can someone advise me what the correct thing is to do.

Many thanks

Comments

• Bookworm105
    Bookworm105 Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 1:32PM
    Options
    this appears to be the classic case of someone not understanding the distinction between "me" and "company"

You state that you were a sole trader, so reference to "company" is therefore irrelevant as it would appear a company never existed in its own right as a separate entity with its own Vat registration in its own name. There is only "me"

either you, as sole trader, have deregistered for Vat or you have not...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure