🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

DMP - forgotten debt?

Options
Hi there, I started a Debit Management Plan with Stepchange a while back (5 years? - they have been fantastic). I've had various letters from Interum regarding a Tesco debt, which I ignored as I assumed it was covered by my DMP. However, it has now been referred to ResolveCall who have said they are sending around a debt collector. I'm terrified, and my partner will go crazy at me.  I'm worried I forgot to 'declare' this with StepChange - there has been so many debts being sold on etc, it's impossible to see the original creditors now on my online plan.

If this is a new one I forgot to declare, what do I do? I was in the depths of a bad mental health crisis back then, so it could be. 

I tried to phone Stepchange but can't get through yet, they are so busy. I'm also in Northern Ireland so I thought people couldn't come to your house?

Thanks, so much,

Comments

• Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,353 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stop panicking. I don't know Northern Ireland debt law but even if Resolvecall did call at your door you just treat them like you would a double grazing salesman you just tell them to go away.

They are not bailiffs.

Nothing terrible is going to happen.

Just contact Stepchange when you can and they will help you.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Ferro
    Ferro Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    lotus76 said:
    Hi there, I started a Debit Management Plan with Stepchange a while back (5 years? - they have been fantastic). I've had various letters from Interum regarding a Tesco debt, which I ignored as I assumed it was covered by my DMP. However, it has now been referred to ResolveCall who have said they are sending around a debt collector. I'm terrified, and my partner will go crazy at me.  I'm worried I forgot to 'declare' this with StepChange - there has been so many debts being sold on etc, it's impossible to see the original creditors now on my online plan.

If this is a new one I forgot to declare, what do I do? I was in the depths of a bad mental health crisis back then, so it could be. 

I tried to phone Stepchange but can't get through yet, they are so busy. I'm also in Northern Ireland so I thought people couldn't come to your house?

Thanks, so much,
    NI doesn’t use bailiffs - never has!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,073 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Stepchange will add the debt to your plan.

Write to or email Intrum and tell them your in a DMP with Stepchange, and that the debt will be added to the plan.

You can add that they will probably be in touch with them to advise on payments etc in due course.

Nothing to get in a fret over, should a Resolvecall agent knock on your door, politely tell them that Stepchange are dealing with the debt and their client has been informed of this, don`t engage further, say goodbye, and close the door.

Resolvecall staff are mainly self employed part timers who get paid by results, so tell them the crack upfront, and they won`t waste any more time on it.

They are just doing a job like you or I, and have no more power than you or I do, they are not bailiffs, and cannot enter your home without your permission, think of them as having similar rights to the postman, i.e., they can knock on your door and post a letter, but nothing else.

Don`t worry.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • lotus76
    lotus76 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all! I was so worried about it, in terms of them entering my house and scaring the young kids. I'll contact StepChange asap.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure