🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

VAT on Legal Fees

Options
ld123098
ld123098 Posts: 36 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi all,

We're transferring the title on a small parcel of land. The solictor has provided a quote for the paperwork of £300, with the VAT being an additional £160. Is this correct? I've tried googling the VAT rates for such services but am hitting a wall. Any advice is appreciated

Comments

• Ferro
    Ferro Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not £60 ….?
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thick finger typing? 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Would be £60 given VAT is 20% (or less) and so looks like a typo. 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    In my naivety I thought that we paid solicitors to take care of the details in these kind of transactions. At the very least you'd think at least one other person would eyeball documents that are going out to clients. Very unprofessional.

Solicitors are one of the professions that are thought to be most "under threat" by increased use of AI, think I can see why.

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    In my naivety I thought that we paid solicitors to take care of the details in these kind of transactions. At the very least you'd think at least one other person would eyeball documents that are going out to clients. Very unprofessional.

Solicitors are one of the professions that are thought to be most "under threat" by increased use of AI, think I can see why.
    So you are happy to pay twice for each letter sent and wait the extra time for a reviewer to proof read it?

Most people want cheap and quick, reality is mistakes are made by humans and especially under time pressures
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 10:20AM
    Options

So you are happy to pay twice for each letter sent and wait the extra time for a reviewer to proof read it?

Most people want cheap and quick, reality is mistakes are made by humans and especially under time pressures
    When it comes to the transfer of title of chunks of land I'd say most people want it correct. 

I know it's only a quote or an invoice but it's correct production gives an insight as to the attitude of the solicitor ('s firm) to the professional standards they profess to adhere to in their processes.
  • ld123098
    ld123098 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone, a typo seems likely. I'll address this with them.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Only if humans feed the correct information in though. In order to receive the most appropriate response. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure