Back For Good…Promise!!!!

Options
Emzilla
Emzilla Posts: 3,817 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

Hi everyone 

My name’s Emz and I love starting new diaries and disappearing for months/years at a time!! 😂

Seriously though, we are heading into a bad time financially and I need somewhere to post, let off steam, get advice and feel generally motivated to get things in order and keep myself in check/on track. 

My landlady is selling the flat we’ve lived in for 11 years and we will soon be handed our 2 months notice. We had 11 months prior notice that this might happen - and we did NOTHING!!

Panic is starting to set in a bit that we have lots of debts and need to find somewhere else to live in a couple of months. The rent we pay now is really good, so it’s going to shoot up £400 to £500 a month. 

OH has a large loan that ends on November that is £500 a month, so that is the rent shortfall. I’m currently trying to come up with ways of getting that extra £500 a month, each month, until the end of the year. Obviously it may be less than that needed. 

Going to attempt that from this month and pay any extra made off debts. Unfortunately it doesn’t help that we’re away in Spain at the moment (booked ages ago - didn’t really want to go, but this will be last holiday for ages as we just won’t be able to afford it anymore). We are back on Saturday, so will be able to crack in with it from next week. 

It’s going to be tough going for the rest of 2024, but I promise to stick around this time. I really need to get through this year and then start to get our finances under control for good. 

It’s currently 10.30pm here, so will post more tomorrow about my plans  

Emz xx

Comments

• dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome back and happy hols ! 
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • Emzilla
    Options
    Welcome back and happy hols ! 
    Thank you Dawn - I’m itching to get back home!! xx
  • Emzilla
    Options

Please bear with me whilst I think out loud and get my plans in writing so I can hold myself to account. 

Let me give some context to the following. I have an illness that badly affects my lungs and I’m on oxygen 24/7. I have a part-time job and also do reselling on eBay to bring money in. I do okay with it, but it’s dipped recently and I need to get it back on track. 

So the £500 rent shortfall I’m going to try and raise every month (for the rest of the year) will hopefully consist of:

£100 from extra hours at work - I work in a shop part-time (9 hours a week), so extra hours are possible. So far in May, I have exceeded my target for this. I’ve already earned an extra £72 from bank holiday Monday and I’ve got another £72 worth of hours lined up for the last week in May. 

£100 from Prolific - I’ve just started to get back into this. I totally think £100 is possible if I have the website open and keep an eye on it whilst doing other things. Currently on £11.67. 

£200 from flipping items from Vinted onto eBay - my idea for this is to buy one item a day on Vinted (approx 30 a month) that I know I can sell for £5-£10 profit on eBay, which would mean at least £150 profit, maybe more. Prime example of this: purchased a Creationary Lego game for £6.57 and sold it on eBay for £19.99 plus postage = £9.66 profit after fees and postage. 

I need to work one or two other income streams to get to £500. I’ve got a few ideas, just need to work out a plan. 

Emz xx

• Emzilla
    Options
    Morning everyone

I'm back home - so pleased to be back. Nice to have some sunshine, but to be honest is was just as nice here over the weekend.

I got all my parcels packed from whilst I was away last night and got over £100 on ebay yesterday in sales, which is my aim every day. I claimed a £15 Amazon voucher from an app I use last night, so hoping that comes through this week so I can put it towards my niece's birthday present.

So only 19 days left of the month, let's see how close to that £500 target I can get. I picked up another shift at work, so will be at £180 extra for the month. Don't know if I'll be able to get that much each month, but will aim for £100 extra. I've had  a good morning on Prolific too, earning over £8 already (sometimes it pays to get up early!!). I've also started my one purchase a day on Vinted to flip on eBay. I got items on Saturday and Sunday, so once I have received them, I can get listing and hopefully selling. Might not be able to make much from that this month, but I should be in full swing next month with it.

I have decided I'm going to do a car boot sale next month too. Partly to clear some dead stock, but also to clear some of our own stuff before we move.

So my categories for the £500 and aims are:

1. Overtime - £100
    2. Vinted flipping  - £200
    3. Prolific - £100
    4. Misc - £100
    List of tasks today:

1. List 10 items on ebay
    2. Buy an item on Vinted to flip
    3. Drop parcels off
    4. Sort a car boot box out
    Might add some more later.

Emz xx
  • Emzilla
    Options
    The day hasn't been as productive as I would have liked. Got my 10 items listed, but currently only sat on £40 - would have been over £50 but had to refund someone for a faulty item that was working perfectly fine  :/

Had a good day on Prolific - currently sat on £19.44 cleared and just over £5 pending. Also got a good Vinted item.

Big news of the day, we are going to view a house. It's not available until mid July, which is ideal and it looks very nice. It's £1,450 a month, which is £575 more than we pay now :( . We've got to wait for them to call back with a time and day to view as there are tenants in there now.

Better get cracking with earning some money!!

Emz xx
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,664 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Goodness that is a large increase on your current rent. How much debt do you have to clear or are you just focusing on saving to  make the rent on the new place?  I assume there will be a deposit to pay too? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Emzilla
    Options
    Goodness that is a large increase on your current rent. How much debt do you have to clear or are you just focusing on saving to  make the rent on the new place?  I assume there will be a deposit to pay too? 
    Hi

I know it's a lot. Unfortunately, for what it is, it's a good price for round here. The rent we have now is really good as it's only been increased twice in 11 years. What we should be paying is more like £1,200.

We have got a lot of debt, but I'm trying to clear what we can before we move and that's why I'm trying to get the extra rent money now, even though we don't need it yet. Will get me in good practice to continue it. There will be a deposit, but we have a deposit tied up in this place too, so it might just be a case of a family member helping us out with that and then paying it back when we get our deposit back.

Emz xx
  • Emzilla
    Options
    Morning everyone 

Back to work this evening. I haven’t got any overtime this week, but have the next 2 weeks. 

EBay was pants yesterday - only £40. Need to do better today. Will get another 10 listed before work. Must also get some car boot stuff sorted. I’m planning on doing it 2nd June as I’m not at work the day before. 

Got my Harefield Hospital appointment tomorrow morning, but thankfully it’s a video appointment (on the watch and wait list for new lungs as I don’t feel that a transplant is needed yet). 

Have a good day everyone

Emz xx

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport