Joint Purchasing a Second Property when I have existing Solo Property with HTB Loan?

Options
Hi there,

I bought a flat myself as a sole applicant last year under Help to Buy Equity Loan - I have not paid the loan back yet but my repayments are very affordable.

My partner and I are looking potentially in the next 2-3 years to move outside of London and purchase a home together. I understand I cannot rent out my HTB Flat while there is an existing loan so I do not intend to do this.

However, I'm assuming I am still allowed to purchase a home with my partner with a joint mortgage?

The plan would be ideally that my partner and I would live in the house for half the week and live in my flat in London for the other half.

Hoping people can give me some advice - thank you!

Comments

• amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The H2B Guide page 5 says.

The property purchased must be your only residence. Help to Buy is not available to assist buy-to-let investors or those who will own any property other than their Help to Buy property after completing their purchase.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,083 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A way round would be to go on the mortgage but not the deeds of the new property. Of course, there are risks to this, particularly if you are not married.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback