SIPP with no beneficiaries

Options

Hi,

If I have a SIPP without any nominated beneficiaries how is the distribution of funds handled after death (under 75)?

Is it possible to nominate my estate so that the Will handles the distribution?

Also, if there is a drawdown account is this just treated as part of the estate?

Many TIA!

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I don’t think that is possible and even if it was it could creat an IHT issue for your estate. 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Hi,

If I have a SIPP without any nominated beneficiaries how is the distribution of funds handled after death (under 75)?

Is it possible to nominate my estate so that the Will handles the distribution?

Yes, if the rules of your SIPP permit you to do so. It can be very useful to pay IHT without your personal representatives having to borrow. 

Provided the payment to the estate is discretionary, it is not (under current legislation) subject to IHT. If the default position of your particular SIPP is that payment will be to the estate if there are no nominated beneficiaries, then it will become subject to IHT.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don’t think that is possible and even if it was it could creat an IHT issue for your estate. 
    It's much misunderstood - my own SIPP provider (a major player) didn't understand the true position but does now...

See https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/inheritance-tax-manual/ihtm17052

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Back in my LGPS days, when someone said that they didn't need an expression of wish form (for the one-off lump sum death benefits, if applicable) 'because they didn't have anyone to leave it to'  I would ask who would arrange/pay for their funeral in the event of their death.  99% did have someone to nominate after all ...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback