Divorce - NHS Pension

Options
If an NHS pension is the main asset in a divorce, and split 50/50, does the non-NHS employed spouse have to wait until the pension age specified in the pension to get the money and is it given as a lump sum or monthly payment? Thanks

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Normal 'retirement' age for a pension credit member would be same as their SPA.  However, benefits could be payable earlier (currently 55) but would be subject to early payment reductions.

Payment would then be monthly in arrears, unless the notional value of the pension is small enough to qualify for a trivial commutation (a one off lump sum in lieu of the pension for life) - but that doesn't sound like it could be the case here.

• Skibunny40
    Skibunny40 Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Silvertabby. So the non-NHS spouse is referred to as the "pension credit member"? I'd seen that description when trying to read up about this, but wasn't sure
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 May at 9:09PM
    Options
    Thanks Silvertabby. So the non-NHS spouse is referred to as the "pension credit member"? I'd seen that description when trying to read up about this, but wasn't sure

Yes.    . 
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband and I are both in receipt of NHS pensions. We have both worked in England and Scotland. He retired in England so receives an English NHS pension. I retired in Scotland so receive a Scottish NHS pension. 
    I can’t remember the rules about spouses, but I do know that the annual ‘pay rise’ pension increases are different for the two countries. 
    I also know that he was allowed to collect his full pension aged 55 and I was allowed (as a community nurse) at age 52. I am aware these rules have changed, but have to admit I’m 
    very grateful! 
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cannugec5 said:
    My husband and I are both in receipt of NHS pensions. We have both worked in England and Scotland. He retired in England so receives an English NHS pension. I retired in Scotland so receive a Scottish NHS pension. 
    I can’t remember the rules about spouses, but I do know that the annual ‘pay rise’ pension increases are different for the two countries. 
    That's not correct, pension increases are identical. You must be thinking of something else...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback