Not sure if this is a default?

Options
So as advised i have been ignoring my debts and awaiting defaults

Not sure what actually constitutes a default, so taking one example from one card

i have a Notice of default, followed 5 weeks later with a letter stating my ‘agreement has been terminated’ and my debt has been passed on the Moorcroft

can i assume that is now defaulted?

i’ve looked on Clearscore and CK and nothing seems to have changed, but that might mean very little

Secondly is it possible to request defaults, a couple of my creditors are moving very slowly, have barely heard a thing and any contact is very much ‘early days’ in tone..given the strategy here is to get defaulted and start the clock ticking can this be chivvied along?

As always, thanks in advance

Comments

• stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May at 3:05PM
    Options
    I would say it is now defaulted, but not sold, just moorcroft collect on behalf of creditors.
    when you get defaulted , the letter also says your credit report will be informed and status updated , did you read that in your letter

normally your credit file will be notified on a certain day of the month by the creditor, so maybe it just missed the cut off date to when the actual credit report website updates. so keep looking 

it's hard to manually get a creditor to default you, I tried and failed on one of creditors, think it maybe cos my offer of payment was just below the normal min payment 
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • london1973
    london1973 Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say it is now defaulted, but not sold, just moorcroft collect on behalf of creditors.
    when you get defaulted , the letter also says your credit report will be informed and status updated , did you read that in your letter

normally your credit file will be notified on a certain day of the month by the creditor, so maybe it just missed the cut off date to when the actual credit report website updates. so keep looking 

it's hard to manually get a creditor to default you, I tried and failed on one of creditors, think it maybe cos my offer of payment was just below the normal min payment 
    Thanks Stu, the exact line in the letter is as follows ‘if you do not resolve the situation we may give you notice that we intend to register a default with the’ CCAs etc etc

this is underneath saying agreement terminated, passed to Moorcroft and so on, and as i said 5 weeks after the default notice

what do you reckon?

cheers

• stu12345_2
    edited 8 May at 10:13PM
    Options
    you normally get  2 warning letters, the 3 rd says you have not caught up or paid off the full balance and your acct is in default, credit reference agencies will be notified .

give me a min, I'm going to look at my default letters 

my Tesco card said we terminated your agreement, we tried to offer you support with repayment of arrears, we let you know that account was at risk of termination.

this means

as we haven't been able to talk to you or repaid arrears, your account has been defaulted

this means your total outstanding balance id due in full 
    a default has been registered in your credit file and will remain visible for 6 years.
    you need to pay full amount now. 

what if I don't pay

we will contact you to support you with repayment of your balance through payment options. your ability to borrow money in future could be affect if your total balance isn't repaid.

I think your account had one last chance,but you didn't  bring it up to date,

did your letter look like mines , but if interest has stopped then usually it's defaulted, and you will see your account in credit agency change from active to default 
    or is the default letter still to come, not the default notice, which you already got
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,974 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A default notice is very clear as to its purpose.

It will state on it -

"This is a default notice issued under section 87 consumer credit act 1974/8".

It will give you 14 days in which to remedy the breach to the terms and conditions of your account.

It will go on to list the possible consequences of non payment, and it will also tell you that should you remedy this breach within those 14 days, no further action will be taken.

A default will be registered on your credit report, and also the date it was registered.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • stu12345_2
    Options
    so imo you will probably get a letter like I got from Tesco, it is now defaulted and registered with credit agencies.
    ie you never remeded the last chance in the default notice .to bring account up to date.

• london1973
    london1973 Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A default notice is very clear as to its purpose.

It will state on it -

"This is a default notice issued under section 87 consumer credit act 1974/8".

It will give you 14 days in which to remedy the breach to the terms and conditions of your account.

It will go on to list the possible consequences of non payment, and it will also tell you that should you remedy this breach within those 14 days, no further action will be taken.

A default will be registered on your credit report, and also the date it was registered.
    Thanks

letter 1-March 1st - ‘we are sending you this default notice pursuant to section 87(1) of the etc etc
    letter 2 - April 4 - ‘your account has been closed’…..’your agreement with us is now terminated’

so i am assuming that is now a default?

• stu12345_2
    Options
    it sure does look like it has defaulted now.

here's what step change say and it agrees with sourcrates post, you had your notice and your 14 days chance to bring it up to date, but as you didnt it's defauled.

it should now show on your credit report soon.

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/debt-collection/default-notices-and-missed-payments.aspx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback