Leaving employment during probation period

Options
Planning to leave current role half way through probation period. It's not worked out for either party.

I will hand my notice this week, and from what I understand there is no notice period to serve.

Company seems respectable. Can I expect them to pay me fully up until my final day that I work?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jimeji said:
    I will hand my notice this week, and from what I understand there is no notice period to serve.
    Where did you get that understanding from? It would be unusual for there to be no notice period at all.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,872 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jimeji said:
    Planning to leave current role half way through probation period. It's not worked out for either party.

Company seems respectable. Can I expect them to pay me fully up until my final day that I work?
    If it isn't working out for either side, your employer will probably be happy to waive any notice period, even if your terms of employment included one (likely to be very short in any case).

Why would they not pay you up to the final day you work? Might be an adjustment for annual leave, either because you've taken too much or too little during the short time you've been with them.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The norm is one weeks notice so, unless the OP has the agreement of the employer to leave immediately they hand in their notice, the employer could be awkward about paying their final wage.  The OP would be entitled to it, but may be kept waiting.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 May at 9:44AM
    Options
    Jimeji said:
    Where did you get that understanding from? It would be unusual for there to be no notice period at all.
    under 1 month service, which is plausible as the OP is still in probation, then there is no notice needed from the employee
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Andy_L said:
    Jimeji said:
    under 1 month service, which is plausible as the OP is still in probation, then there is no notice needed from the employee
    Unless there is a contractual requirement (also plausible).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback