Nhs dental bands

Options
Maz18
Maz18 Posts: 5 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 13 May at 9:18AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I was seen by my dentist in march as my filling fell out. Was charged band 1 as he said it was a repair. Had to get an emergency appointment 2 weeks ago as the filling fell out plus had a root canal done . I was charged band 2 .( on top of what i payed month before) I have been told I will need a crown but will have to wait a few months for my tooth to settle down . That's gonna be band 3. So another 300,+ on top. So all in all i would of payed just over 400 for treatment on one tooth . I thought whatever I've already payed gets taken off especially for treatment on the same tooth in such a short period of time . 
Is this correct 

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Maz18 said:
    I was seen by my dentist in march as my filling fell out. Was charged band 1 as he said it was a repair. Had to get an emergency appointment 2 weeks ago as the filling fell out plus had a root canal done . I was charged band 2 .( on top of what i payed month before) I have been told I will need a crown but will have to wait a few months for my tooth to settle down . That's gonna be band 3. So another 300,+ on top. So all in all i would of payed just over 400 for treatment on one tooth . I thought whatever I've already payed gets taken off especially for treatment on the same tooth in such a short period of time . 
    Is this correct 

If, within 2 calendar months of completing a course of treatment, you need more treatment from the same or a lower charge band, such as another filling, you do not have to pay anything extra.

If the additional treatment needed is in a higher band, you'll have to pay for the new NHS course of treatment.

• Maz18
    Maz18 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
     under the treatment I'm getting at the moment my dentist has said I will need a crown but have to wait a few months then I will have to pay the whole of band 3. I think this is wrong. Surely this should come under this treatment period as its what I need to have done and what I've already paid should be deducted and not a new treatment. 
    By the way my filling has come out again, not even been 2 weeks. 
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Maz18 said:
     under the treatment I'm getting at the moment my dentist has said I will need a crown but have to wait a few months then I will have to pay the whole of band 3. I think this is wrong. Surely this should come under this treatment period as its what I need to have done and what I've already paid should be deducted and not a new treatment. 
    By the way my filling has come out again, not even been 2 weeks. 
    There are  often a lot of perfectly good clinical reasons for this, and so it might well be right to want to wait a few months between the filling and subsequent provision of a crown. 

The most notable is that if a filling is big, or close to a nerve, then it can be best to wait a while to make sure the tooth hasn't had an adverse reaction to that big filling. The last thing you would want is for the brand new crown to need a hole drilled through it if a root filling became necessary, or worse, if the tooth needed to come out after it had been crowned.

Unfortunately, the charging regulations under the NHS weren't really put together by anyone with any understanding of how dentistry needs to work sometimes - So you do get these situations coming up where the best thing to do dentally doesn't always coincide with the cheapest way to get something done.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback