NI Credits On Means Tested Benefits

Options
OsirianTheGreat
OsirianTheGreat Posts: 18 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi guys, I am just wondering do you get NI credits when you are on means tested benefits like Means Tested ESA or Universal Credit and if I do, will I qualify for State Pension when or if I reach the age?

I have been on Means Tested benefits for a long time now and I am just wondering do I get any NI credits or do I need to apply for anything or take action under my circumstances?

I ask because I recently got an E60U form from ESA and beside my yearly money I got from ESA... its all 0.00 for...

Pay, Taxable, Pay and taxable benefit, tax deducted, tax refunded & net tax deducted.

Just wondering if that means anything when it comes to NI credits? Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I have never had to pay tax because of the benefits I am on, so I am new to all this lol. Thank you!

Comments

• itsthelittlethings
    itsthelittlethings Posts: 266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you should do.
  • OsirianTheGreat
    Options
    You think I should get get the NI credits automatically? Is that what you are saying? Thanks for the reply.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For a start why not check your State Pension forecast on your Personal Tax Account and see what your current situation is.

It's important to read the whole thing as the headline figure can be misleading.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,944 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 May at 8:38AM
    Options
    Hi guys, I am just wondering do you get NI credits when you are on means tested benefits like Means Tested ESA or Universal Credit and if I do, will I qualify for State Pension when or if I reach the age?

Some benefits come with NI credits and some don't. 
    ESA does (Class 1), PIP doesn;t. 
    Universal Credit does (Class 3).

For a comprehensive list of ways you can get credits, see here
    National Insurance credits: Eligibility - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)  . 

As Dazed_and_Confused says, to find out if you are on track for a full state pension, you need to look at your individual State Pension Forecast here. 
    Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• OsirianTheGreat
    Options
    Thanks guys! After your great advice, I signed up on the government gateway and was able to check the forecast and I see my NI credits have been fully paid so far from my benefits, so all is good.

Thank you for your help :) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure