a

Options
LewisA77
LewisA77 Posts: 9 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 7 May at 10:09PM in England
For England-specific MoneySaving tips and discussions.

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 May at 4:01PM
    Options
    LewisA77 said:
    We've been living in our new flat for a while now (council flat), and are having horrendous trouble with the neighbours noise. They moved in to the above flat which they have rented from a private landlord. They frequently play loud music well into the night and early in the mornings (5-6am). 

I've politely spoke to them a couple of times now, and it seems like they aren't bothered to stop playing their music at these hours. Frankly, it's driving me and my wife insane and is doing my health no good as I'm hardly getting any sleep, have constant fatigue, and can't concentrate on work day to day.

From what I've observed they don't work and claim benefits. This worries me since I presume that if we report them to the council they would be taken to court and potentially getting fined, and I don't think this will bother them since there are bailiffs that frequently show up to their flat to recover previous debt owned.

Is there a way I can have them evicted rather than them potentially getting a fine?
      Personally I wouldn't care about their financial situation. If it takes taking them
    to Court for anti social behaviour then they deserve what's coming. 

But taking them to Court would be a last resort. The council would send them nuisance letters and visit and try to mediate for some time before considering Court action. 

Keep a diary of the nuisance and inform your council housing team
  • LewisA77
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    LewisA77 said:
    We've been living in our new flat for a while now (council flat), and are having horrendous trouble with the neighbours noise. They moved in to the above flat which they have rented from a private landlord. They frequently play loud music well into the night and early in the mornings (5-6am). 

I've politely spoke to them a couple of times now, and it seems like they aren't bothered to stop playing their music at these hours. Frankly, it's driving me and my wife insane and is doing my health no good as I'm hardly getting any sleep, have constant fatigue, and can't concentrate on work day to day.

From what I've observed they don't work and claim benefits. This worries me since I presume that if we report them to the council they would be taken to court and potentially getting fined, and I don't think this will bother them since there are bailiffs that frequently show up to their flat to recover previous debt owned.

Is there a way I can have them evicted rather than them potentially getting a fine?
      Personally I wouldn't care about their financial situation. If it takes taking them
    to Court for anti social behaviour then they deserve what's coming. 

But taking them to Court would be a last resort. The council would send them nuisance letters and visit and try to mediate for some time before considering Court action. 

Keep a diary of the nuisance and inform your council housing team
    My concern is that once they are taken to court and get given a fine they continue to play their music loudly. I feel like a fine isn't going to resolve this issue since they have bailiffs trying to recover previous debt incurred to no success.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,335 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contact the Environmental Health department at your local council, who will advise you on what records to keep and so forth.

And find out if your neighbours live in a flat that has been sold: if it is being illegally sublet then the problem might be solved relatively quickly. (Even if the flat was sold there might well have been a covenant preventing letting.)
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,386 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    any chance of talking to their landlord?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • LewisA77
    Options
    Brie said:
    any chance of talking to their landlord?
    Yes to no avail. Our options are limited and we are starting to become desperate. We've been living at the flat about 10 years now and based on that we are entitled to a substantial discount under the right to buy scheme. We are considering whether buying the flat and signing a 3-7yr agreement with a housing association is the right decision. Our main concern is what the lack of sleep and stress is doing to our health.
  • Devongardener
    Devongardener Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Look at your local council’s website, under environmental health.  There should be guidance there.  The process usually starts with keeping a diary of incidents and you could also record the noise on your phone.   Our council has a template letter to complete which is given to the noisy neighbours outline what will happen if they persist.    I really sympathise with you, I had exactly this in the past and know how it affects your heath.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback