Cheap distilled / deionised water - where to buy?

Options
I'm looking for shops in the UK that sell inexpensive deionised / distilled water, if anyone has any recommendations?

I used to buy mine from Wilko, and the only ones I can seem to find now are DIY chains selling Carplan, which is vastly overpriced. I've tried B+M, Poundland, Home Bargains (albeit a smaller town store) and supermarkets, with no joy.

I'm looking for bricks and mortar, as buying online is bound to have additional postage costs.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,983 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 May at 4:25PM
    Options
    £1.50 in Asda, if they keep it in stock.
    Ditto Tesco if there’s a large store near you. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,484 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you need a lot?  Not sure if it's the same but OH was told this is what he needed for his humidor.  But that only needs a relatively small amount - maybe half a cup?  When he was having trouble getting any someone suggested that the ice in our freezer would do the job just fine.  So this was the stuff that forms which means you have to defrost the freezer.  So occasionally he would knock a chunk off the inside of the freezer, thaw and filter it ready for use.  Completely free.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • EasyToAssemble01
    EasyToAssemble01 Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brie said:
    Do you need a lot?  Not sure if it's the same but OH was told this is what he needed for his humidor.  But that only needs a relatively small amount - maybe half a cup?  When he was having trouble getting any someone suggested that the ice in our freezer would do the job just fine.  So this was the stuff that forms which means you have to defrost the freezer.  So occasionally he would knock a chunk off the inside of the freezer, thaw and filter it ready for use.  Completely free.
    I would probably be looking for 1-2 litres (using about 200ml each time), so the freezer may not be enough (though worth remembering for other uses).
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Tumble dryer water.  Ask friends and neighbours.  I've just poured about 2 litres down the sink!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    What about the water produced by a dehumdifier?

Mine produce probably a gallon a week. I use it for watering plants
  • EasyToAssemble01
    EasyToAssemble01 Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    What about the water produced by a dehumdifier?

Mine produce probably a gallon a week. I use it for watering plants
    We have one, but I always wonder if that takes in detergent residue (we use it for drying clothes in the colder months).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback