Claiming additional 20% pension tax relief in Self Assessment

Options
I'm completely confused as to how I can claim the additional 20% pension tax relief I'm entitled to. As a higher rate tax payer I'd assumed the 40% relief would be automatically appled (Civil Service pension - Alpha scheme). However, I understand I'll only have had the 20% applied and need to claim the rest. Having looked at the Self Assessment form I can't see where I'd add it or what info I'd add. I pay in my standard contributions plus an additional sum each month. I've done this for more than 3 years so want to backdate the claim too.

Massive thank you in advance to anyone who can help me. 

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 May at 1:08PM
    Options
    I'm completely confused as to how I can claim the additional 20% pension tax relief I'm entitled to. As a higher rate tax payer I'd assumed the 40% relief would be automatically appled (Civil Service pension - Alpha scheme). However, I understand I'll only have had the 20% applied and need to claim the rest. Having looked at the Self Assessment form I can't see where I'd add it or what info I'd add. I pay in my standard contributions plus an additional sum each month. I've done this for more than 3 years so want to backdate the claim too.

Massive thank you in advance to anyone who can help me. 

Firstly there is no "additional 20%".  The higher rate relief depends on your overall tax situation.

Secondly Alpha contributions are paid using the net pay method so there is no pension tax relief, your income for tax purposes is reduced by the contributions.  For example salary £60k with 10% Alpha contribution = £54k taxable pay.  £54k is what would be on your P60.

Basically you don't include Alpha contributions on a tax return as you have already received the maximum possible relief.

Are the extra contributions made through payroll?
  • endinsight
    endinsight Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, they are made through payroll. But this page on the CSP website suggests I need to make a claim for the additional 20%.
     https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/faqs/concord-pension-account/do-i-get-tax-relief-on-my-contributions/ 

"Your employer’s contributions are based on your your gross pay (pay before tax). However, your own contributions are taken from you after you have paid tax.

You pay a reduced contribution, which takes account of the tax relief that the pension provider will claim back on your behalf. Therefore, for example, if you wanted to pay £100 we would take £80 from your net pay (£100 less £20 basic rate income tax). The pension provider would then claim back £20 from HM Revenue & Customs, so the total amount going into your pension fund based on your contributions would be £80 + £20 = £100.

If you are a higher rate or additional rate taxpayer, you should contact HM Revenue & Customs to claim the extra tax relief."

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    edited 5 May at 3:38PM
    Options
    That page is correct for those members it applies to.

But in your original post you said you were a member of the Alpha scheme, which is a totally different shame to Concord.  In fact the (separate) Concord page states it is only for those who cannot join Alpha.

https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/knowledge-centre/pension-schemes/concord-pension-account/

Which scheme are you actually in 🤔

If it's Alpha they try comparing your P60 with your salary and you will notice a significant reduction in your taxable pay compared to your salary.

Net pay contributions never get entered in the pension tax relief (or employment) part of a tax return.

https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/faqs/concord-pension-account/do-i-get-tax-relief-on-my-contributions/
  • endinsight
    endinsight Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That'll teach me for looking online in th emiddle of the night. I'm definitely Alpha. My dream of a tax rebate appears to be just that! Thank you for replying to me :)
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    That'll teach me for looking online in th emiddle of the night. I'm definitely Alpha. My dream of a tax rebate appears to be just that! Thank you for replying to me :)
    Just think of all the tax you have already avoided by getting the correct relief immediately each pay day 😉
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But in your original post you said you were a member of the Alpha scheme, which is a totally different shame to Concord.  In fact the (separate) Concord page states it is only for those who cannot join Alpha.

Surely Alpha (one of those gold plated DB arrangements) has no need to hang its head.... :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback