How does it work..

Options
So I’m currently in a deal until oct 26 with Halifax and have savings which I’ve locked away to get the best savings rates as currently my mortgage rate is 1.4 or thereabouts.

I would like to know if I waited until the end of my deal and get changed to the SVR can I then make a larger overpayment without penalty then take a transfer offer? Or does it not work like this? 

Another option is to make the 10 percent overpayment before january 25 next year and then again say in February.. does this work? 

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I would like to know if I waited until the end of my deal and get changed to the SVR can I then make a larger overpayment without penalty then take a transfer offer? 

If you wish to make an overpayment in excess of the annual allowance. Then yes. This is the time to do so. 
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless you are likely to spend it then your overpayment is better off waiting until there is no penalty as you are getting better interest than you are paying.  If it was the other way round then just pay the penalty.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Andy

Currently the only way to exceed the 10% overpayment concession with Halifax without penalty is to drop on to standard variable rate and make the overpayment then. You would be on the SVR for at least one month paying 8.74% (todays rate).

I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback