Mining Report Query from solicitor

Options
Hi all, 

Need some advice or previous experience from people who have been in the same situation :smile:

So my solictors pa rang me as well as emailing me the following :

"In relation to your search reports, we have reviewed the mining report and notes that a subsidence claim was made within 50 meters of the property. This is unusual and not something we see very often and would therefore strongly recommend that you obtain a structural survey for the property to ensure that it is not suffering from any effects of any subsidence"

No they are going to query this with the vendors solictor whether they are aware, not sure when this claim was put inand property, but it has got my solicitor a bit twitchy.

Before these searches where undertaken I had done a level 3 survey and there was no apparent signs of subsidence from the report, the only area where there was internal cracks were in one room but they were not of any concern to survey the rest of the house was fine.

Is it a case i need to do another survey on top of this one and if so what type ?

Also is this something i need to see as a red flag and back away from going any futher into the purchase of this house with a view it might freak other people out in the future when i look to sell ?

Many thanks in advanced

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,769 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The house could be 49m away, thats not really a major problem (in my opinion). But it might also be 4.9m away in which case its a bigger problem (in my opinion). 

If you have had a level 3 survey, I am 99% sure that is the structural survey your solicitor is talking about. Forward it on to them and see if that covers what they are recommending. 

Maybe also refer it back to the surveyor and see if that changes anything. 

Your solicitors are giving you worst case scenario in order to warn you and to cover their own back. You need to decide what you want to do - carry on, pull out, try and obtain more information in order to make a decision. 

Can you get insurance at normal rates? 
    Can you get a better idea of where the subsidance was? 

I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Floopy2009
    Floopy2009 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ACG said:
    The house could be 49m away, thats not really a major problem (in my opinion). But it might also be 4.9m away in which case its a bigger problem (in my opinion). 

If you have had a level 3 survey, I am 99% sure that is the structural survey your solicitor is talking about. Forward it on to them and see if that covers what they are recommending. 

Maybe also refer it back to the surveyor and see if that changes anything. 

Your solicitors are giving you worst case scenario in order to warn you and to cover their own back. You need to decide what you want to do - carry on, pull out, try and obtain more information in order to make a decision. 

Can you get insurance at normal rates? 
    Can you get a better idea of where the subsidance was? 

@ACG yeah i think it is what the solicitor wants so will send it over, also contacted my surveyor for his opinion. Regarding location and more info i need to find out from the solicitors as this has all come to light this afternoon.

If the location cannot be defined i might have to consider pulling out as to much or a risk, and i am sure the mortgage people and insurance will be twitchy as well then.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback