Sheila's Wheels/Esure failure to pay refund after policy cancellation.

Options
I cancelled my car insurance policy with Sheila's Wheels (Esure is the actual insurer) after selling my car. They have no obvious telephone number, but you can "chat" on their website. At the second time of asking they cancelled the policy on 3rd April 2024 and have since given me the run around with different stories. Three times I have been told I will get the refund - to my credit card - in 4/5 working days, but nothing happens. Twice they have cut the "chat" off, nominally because I have been too long coming up with my next answer. All their operators act the same, so it is almost certainly company policy to withhold payments. Looking at reviews on Trustpilot people taking out policies express satisfaction, but those making claims or waiting for refunds are less happy. 

Has anyone else encountered similar problems with Esure/Sheila's Wheels? Do they have a cashflow problem?

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 563 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you made any claims on the policy in this policy year?  If a refund is due, how much are you expecting to receive after cancellation fees have been deducted?
    If you have a grievance against the company you need to follow their complaints procedure and then escalate to FOS is still unhappy.  I'd be confident of getting any money you are owed
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Formal complaint time, no reason it shouldn't be immediate.

We cancelled an Aviva policy online on 29 April, to be cancelled with effect from 1st May.  Refund was in our account on 30 April.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    daveyjp said:
    Formal complaint time, no reason it shouldn't be immediate.
    Most credit card companies dont process refunds instantly so yes the refund should be raised the same day but it can take 2-3 days for it to show on the card.

How much did they say the refund would be? 

Teeth8 said:
    Do they have a cashflow problem?
    They made a modest lost this year but that due to big IT projects, the underlying business is inline with prior years of small underwriting profits

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback