Flora "Skip the cow" advert??

Options
Gobsh
Gobsh Posts: 108 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 3 May at 4:55PM in Food shopping & groceries

I always thought "Flora" (= "Plant Life" by definition) margarine was made from vegetable oil, but the new advert implies that was never true and only true of the new flora. Am I missing something or have flora been misrepresentating themselves for the last 60 years (launched 1964)

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,959 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gobsh said:

I always thought "Flora" (= "Plant Life" by definition) margarine was made from vegetable oil, but the new advert implies that was never true and only true of the new flora. Am I missing something or have flora been misrepresentating themselves for the last 60 years (launched 1964)
    I think that the advert is for Flora ‘butter’ not the usual spread. 

I think the point is that people will think differently about buying dairy butter. 

I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We are transitioning to a more Mediterranean style diet, so replacing butter with Extra Virgin olive oil. I haven't eaten margarine in many years. It tastes like plastic and it's not in any way, natural. 

When my father was diagnosed with high cholesterol, my mother switched us all to low fat, including Flora. It didn't prevent my father from developing heart disease.

In 2015, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans Committee, declared that dietary cholesterol was no longer a nutrient of concern. The guidelines weren't changed however. Too many vested interests perhaps? Cheerios aren't healthy, yet the manufacturer said that they lower cholesterol. 

The whole 'plant-based ' hype about margarine, reminds me of the misinformation about Quorn. It's made with soil mould, not mushrooms, in silos.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Vitalite has been doing this for years.
    Then there was Olivio when it becomes popular the amount of olive oil dwindles but people remember the advert.

And of course they don't mention exactly what it's made of in the ad.
    It's logging into the fact that people want non animal products but many don't look into what the alternatives are really offering.

Do they say how much 'extra virgin' olive oil is in it?
    Like the essential oils added to stuff. It only has to be a drop in a massive vat.
    And of course the scandal about the extra virgin olive oil we get.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Gobsh
    Gobsh Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

But if it's Butter they fall into another trap because "Butter" is commercially defined product has to follow that definition and doesn't include vegetable products?
    Still sound like they're blowing smoke to me

sarah1972 said:

I think the point is that people will think differently about buying dairy butter. 

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think that their decision to go with Plant Butter might have something to do with Palm Oil being a major component of the product, and Palm Butter probably wouldn't play well with the target market.

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,959 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 May at 4:26PM
    Options
    Gobsh said:

But if it's Butter they fall into another trap because "Butter" is commercially defined product has to follow that definition and doesn't include vegetable products?
    Still sound like they're blowing smoke to me

sarah1972 said:

I agree, merely my take that they are trying to get people to think that there is an alternative and butter doesn’t always mean cows milk although technically yes it does. I’m guessing it’s just trying to change peoples way of thinking that there is no substitute 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure