Klarna Kate Payment Fees - May 2024

Options
In April, we somewhat hesitantly entered into a BNPL agreement with Klarna. This morning, we received an email informing us of the new late fee charges.

Does anyone know whether we should have been made aware of these planned changes before we agreed the loan? I get the due diligence argument, but there were no obvious references to these changes.

Plus, to see the fees active so soon after signing a contract leaves one a little suspicious, to say the least. 

Lastly, a 2023 MSE article discussed proposed government legislation to regulate companies like Klarna. Does anyone know whether those regulations ever materialised? 

Thanks all 🙏

Comments

• CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Does anyone know whether we should have been made aware of these planned changes before we agreed the loan?
    No.  When you entered into the agreement you would have signed up for the T&Cs that were in force at that time.  Any updates would be communicated to all customers at the same time.

Plus, to see the fees active so soon after signing a contract leaves one a little suspicious, to say the least. 

Why is it suspicious?  They've updated their T&Cs and communicated them to customers as part of a scheduled mailshot.
    Anyway, does it really matter?  I'm assuming you didn't enter into the agreement with the intention of paying late?

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,999 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 May at 11:57AM
    Options
    Have you been charged a late fee, or are they just informing you of what there late fee`s are?

Your post is not very clear on that.

Klarna, has been authorised by the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to provide regulated payments and credit services in the UK since November 2023.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback