Family Offset Mortgage

Options
Are Family Offset mortgages only available to help first-time buyers? I would like to help a family member buy a bigger home - something she is currently struggling to afford but needs due to her children reaching an age where they needs their own bedrooms. 

If a Family Offset Mortgage is not available, is there any other way I could help? I am reluctant to become a joint owner because of the stamp duty implications. 

Comments

• housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 May at 6:53AM
    Options
    Why family? YBS do one were you can link family accounts, but they are going to have to pass affordablilty on their own first. 
    Falling that, your can do joint borrower, sole proprietor mortgages, so you are on the mortgage but not the property. 
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 563 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A family offset mortgage gives extra security to the lender whilst the buyer builds up equity in the property.  If the buyer cannot afford repayments on the mortgage, then this would not be a solution.
    I would suggest looking into gifting or loaning money to your family member.  Either of these options should allow your family member to get a better interest rate on her mortgage because of a better LTV.

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,070 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why family? YBS do one were you can link family accounts, but they are going to have to pass affordablilty on their own first. 
    Falling that, your can do joint borrower, sole proprietor mortgages, so you are on the mortgage but not the property. 
    This. Barclays have reasonable rates.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback