IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

DCBL Strikes again (and I'm up for it)

Options
Evening all,

So I am the latest in a long line of DCBL/NPC victims. I'd like to start by thanking this community greatly; I've read through a number of the various posts and threads and as such, am hopeful that I can emerge unscathed. The depth and breadth of information is not only encouraging and motivating; but is downright impressive! Thanks all!

This post is firstly to confirm my understanding of the next step in the process. The plan is to then post my drafted defence for a sense-check before updating you all on my final outcome. Hopefully in time I can be added to the long line of heroes before me in the DCBL discontinuation thread hall of fame.

Now, I'll get to the point.

I have submitted my AOS as instructed in the Dropbox guidance document.

Is it now necessary for me to complete the N9B pro forma, including my written defence within it for email submission; or can I just draft my defence as a single standalone document for email submission in line with the draft version in the second post of the 'Template defence to adapt for all parking cases' thread?

The 'First 12 steps' featured in the thread referenced above didn't clarify whether the actual N9B form was needed or not.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are right, the N9B form isn't mentioned in either the template defence thread nor NEWBIES thread at all.
    What conclusion might we draw from that?

What is the Issue Date on your Claim Form?

Upon what date did you file an Acknowledgment of Service?
    Your MCOL Claim History will have the definitive answer to that.
  • Young_saver22
    Young_saver22 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The issue date on the claim form is 10th April 2024.
    I filed the AOS on 24th April 2024.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 May at 11:16PM
    Options
    You don't use any forms. As the Template Defence says, you just email a PDF.  Only that!

Please show us the POC.

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP
    Options

With a Claim Issue Date of 10th April, and having filed an Acknowledgment of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Monday 13th May 2024 to file your Defence.

That's over a week away. Plenty of time to produce a Defence but please don't leave it to the last minute.
    To create a Defence, and then file a Defence by email, look at the second post in the NEWBIES thread.
    Don't miss the deadline for filing a Defence.

Do not try and file a Defence via the MoneyClaimOnline website. Once an Acknowledgment of Service has been filed, the MCOL website should be treated as 'read only'.
  • Young_saver22
    Options
    You don't use any forms. As the Template Defence says, you just email a PDF.  Only that!

Please show us the POC.

Thank you so much for clarifying. That's very helpful as I never like to assume!

The first two steps listed are:
    1. Print your Defence if you are physically signing it.
    2. Sign it and date it.
    Form N9B was titled 'defence and counterclaim' so I thought it could have been referring to this. I acknowledge that following the process to the tee is necessary to not fall foul of the rules resulting in any penalties.

POC is below:

• Young_saver22
    Options
    KeithP said:

With a Claim Issue Date of 10th April, and having filed an Acknowledgment of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Monday 13th May 2024 to file your Defence.

That's over a week away. Plenty of time to produce a Defence but please don't leave it to the last minute.
    To create a Defence, and then file a Defence by email, look at the second post in the NEWBIES thread.
    Don't miss the deadline for filing a Defence.

Do not try and file a Defence via the MoneyClaimOnline website. Once an Acknowledgment of Service has been filed, the MCOL website should be treated as 'read only'.
    Very helpful - thanks KeithP!
  • KeithP
    edited 3 May at 12:25AM
    Options

Those words "NO Parking Or Waiting At Anytime" make it look like it was impossible to agree a contract to park there.

It's difficult to comment further as you have told us nothing about the alleged parking event.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you tell us more:

Is the Claimant NCP or NPC?

Location? Google Streetview link would help.

What went wrong on that day to get a PCN?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Young_saver22
    Options
    KeithP said:

Those words "NO Parking Or Waiting At Anytime" make it look like it was impossible to agree a contract to park there.

It's difficult to comment further as you have told us nothing about the alleged parking event.
    Ahh good point. To add context:

- I didn't formally park as I was giving a friend who had recently had an operation and was in severe pain a lift to the hospital (she also happens to be an employee at the hospital) to pick-up medication. She ran in to get this and I stayed in the car with the engine running. I pulled up on the side behind approx 2 other cars who also appeared to be doing the same thing. An attendant then showed up and shouted at me to move my car which I then did and left the hospital.
    - I was never issued a ticket on the day and received no letter from NPC about the fine giving me no chance to pay it. The first correspondence I ever received regarding this matter was a threatening letter from DCBL demanding £170!
    - I'd called NPC who confirmed that their process for issuing parking fines is to issue a physical ticket to the driver and follow this up with two letters in the post. Despite this not being the case; they refused to allow me to pay the reduced fine as it had already been handed over to DCBL
  • Young_saver22
    Options
    Can you tell us more:

Is the Claimant NCP or NPC?

Location? Google Streetview link would help.

What went wrong on that day to get a PCN?
    Sure; claimant is: National Parking Control Group Limited (Crawley)

This was at around 8:30pm at St Thomas' Hospital in London.

I've also just explained the bulk of the story above but to summarise, I was giving a friend a lift to the hospital to collect medication. The kicker is that she works there and guided me to this particular area. She advised that her dad often drops her mum off in the same spot and waits with no issue; we also asked the driver of another car just in front and he advised he was also waiting for his wife. He had left not too long before an aggressive attendant started shouting at me to move my car which I did immediately. No ticket was issued at the time and I received no letter or correspondence about this until I got the £170 demand from DCBL.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback