Opos

Options
Minbee
Minbee Posts: 25 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 2 May at 7:50PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello apologies if I’m not posting this in the right place.
I received a letter today from Opos saying that they have been trying to contact me regarding a debt to RBS for a credit card outstanding balance of £360. 

They have contacted once me a couple of months back to inform me that they’d taken on a debt but I did not have to take any action. At the time I thought this was for my current NatWest credit card which had around that amount owed, not in arrears just through general usage, and I was repaying the minimum via direct debit from my NatWest current account. That card currently stands at 0 because I have been working to become debt free and stopped using it.

I don’t know what else this could be referring to. I did get into some financial trouble as a naive student maybe 15 years ago and had around £3,000 of debt across overdraft and a couple of credit cards but I believed all of this to have been repaid, I have not had any debt problems for many years and to my knowledge none of it was RBS, at least not at the time.

Opos have offered a settlement of £76, I don’t really want to contact them because I’m afraid they’ll take it as acceptance of the debt. But if it is mine, I’ll pay it. 

What do you knowledgable people think is my best move? Thank you.

*edited to say we are about to apply for our first mortgage and I am worried this will cause us problems

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure