Am I owed a refund?

Options
Hi, 

I work 2 jobs and have had my tax codes changed today. 

Job A went from 100LX to BR. Paid £63 PAYE To date this tax year. 

Job B went from 1163LX To 1263L. Paid £400 PAYE To Date. 

Am I right in thinking I’ll get a full refund from job B, because I’m still well under the tax free allowance for the year so far. But I’ll have to make a top-up payment from my next salary of job A so I’ve paid 20% of all earnings since the tax year reset. 

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 May at 11:24PM
    Options
    Hi, 

I work 2 jobs and have had my tax codes changed today. 

Job A went from 100LX to BR. Paid £63 PAYE To date this tax year. 

Job B went from 1163LX To 1263L. Paid £400 PAYE To Date. 

Am I right in thinking I’ll get a full refund from job B, because I’m still well under the tax free allowance for the year so far. But I’ll have to make a top-up payment from my next salary of job A so I’ve paid 20% of all earnings since the tax year reset. 

Looks like it yes.

Job A will deduct a maximum of 50% tax each payday until you have paid 20% of the taxable pay (in this tax year) from this job.

Might be as simple as paying double the normal tax for one week (40% instead of 20%) and then it will be 20% each week after that.

Job B will recalculate your tax and make any adjustment due (which is in your favour) the first time they use the new tax code.

You get a proportion of tax code allowances each payday.  So by week 5 of the tax year you can earn £1,209 without needing to psy any tax (on tax code 1257L).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback