DWP Debt management

Options
Hoping someone can help..

So me and my husband finally got a AIP with NatWest and we now had an offer accepted on a property , so now our mortgage application is going in.. & getting everything ready and downloaded out bank statements and have completely forgot about a payment plan I have with DWP for an overpayment from lockdown ( as I had to close for a number of months ) when DWP wrote me a letter to tell me they had overpaid me there was the option of paying it back in instalments which I took , as trying to get back on my feet after Covid. 

Its not on my credit file, so not down as a debt , my mortgage broker is off until Friday -and I'm panicking as I hadn't told him about this because its just been a bill that comes out and forgot about - will NatWest pick this up on my bank statements and decline out mortgage because of this? 

I can pay the amount off if they need me too - can that be something they ask of me? obvs id rather not as that money would be going towards the house we was buying , but if its going to affect me getting a mortgage then I defiantly will pay it?

Thank you

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If the mortgage remains affordable when it is treated as a commitment, you'll be fine. If it isn't, get used to the idea of paying it off now. NatWest will want evidence of the funds to repay it, or perhaps even evidence of repayment before they will issue the offer.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • harper2018
    harper2018 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    ahh amazing thank you , feel like I can breathe again , its only a small amount of £41 a month, and absolutely shouldn't affect our affordability - also I do have evidence of funds that could pay of the full amount 
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,769 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Just to offer you some additional reassurance, as kingstreet says its just a commitment. Its not a debt management plan. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback