Capita pensions

Options
my farther in law had two pensions with the above company 1 was a small pension and the other was a bigger pension but they have only been paying my mother in law the small one since his death in 2018, what can my mother in law do to challenge this. We have seen on the internet that capita has done this to a lot of people. The only problem we have is we cannot find the paperwork for the bigger pension but have paperwork for the smaller one. Any advice I can give her would be helpful, and if it requires a letter being sent to them how best to word the letter.
thank you

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 May at 9:59AM
    Options
    What pensions were they and what type?

Its possible that the bigger pension has no provision for a spouse's pension on the death of the pensioner, or that your father didn't nominate a spouse so they don't know there is someone entitled to it
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The letter needs to say something along the lines of

Following the death of my father is his wife entitled to a survivors pension from the 2 pensions he had with you

and then as much detail as you can glean eg

Full Name
    Address
    Date of birth & death
    Pensions account no
    date of payment
    amount
    reference on bank statements (which is oftern the a.c no)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    my farther in law had two pensions with the above company 1 was a small pension and the other was a bigger pension but they have only been paying my mother in law the small one since his death in 2018
    Was the pension income in place prior to his death?

The death benefits will vary on scheme from nothing to spouse, 50% to spouse or everything to spouse (and some options in between).     How they will be paid will depend on the type of pension and the options selected and whether the income was in place before death or not.

what can my mother in law do to challenge this. 
    There may be nothing to challenge.   For example, a single life annuity without guarantees (or outside of the guarantee period) would die with him.   Whereas a scheme pension linked to a DB scheme would pay normally pay 50% income to spouse.

We have seen on the internet that capita has done this to a lot of people. 
    Capita will do what the options selected were.  No more, no less.  
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    my farther in law had two pensions with the above company 1 was a small pension and the other was a bigger pension but they have only been paying my mother in law the small one since his death in 2018,

Then what is clear is that Capita was informed of his death.

Is there a reason why it has taken six years to clarify the position in respect of this pension?

Are you sure that there was no communication from Capita after  the information about the death of the pensioner was provided?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback