Applying to the police with an undischarged CCJ

Options
Hi all 

I wasn’t sure where to post this but hopefully I’ve got the right place! 

I’ve been offered an interview with my local police force as a civilian but obviously this will be subject to vetting. 

I have 2 CCJ’s - one is discharged and the other isn’t. It’s a couple of years old and in the amount of £3,500. I have never made a payment towards it. 

My question is - is this an automatic bar to entry? It would really be a stretch for me to clear this and the only way I could possibly do it would be to borrow the money 

anyway, I’m just wanting some advice on the above so I know if it’s even worth me turning up for the interview in the first place! 

Thank you in advance 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You would be best asking them that question, but having financial issues puts you at greater risk in their eyes to being coerced or bribed etc.
    Life in the slow lane
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,695 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agree with @born-again ask them.

At one time a CCJ was definitely a stumbling block, it may or may not be now
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,005 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 April at 5:10PM
    Options
    Greater Manchester Police, as an example, have this

Financial position

Police staff are in a privileged position with regard to access to information and could be considered potentially vulnerable to corruption. Applicants should not therefore be under pressure from un-discharged debts or liabilities and should be able to manage loans and debts sensibly.

Applicants who have existing County Court Judgments (CCJs) or who have been registered bankrupt and their bankruptcy debts have not been discharged will not be considered.

Applicants who have discharged CCJs may be considered. Applicants who have been registered bankrupt and their bankruptcy debts have been discharged will only be considered after 3 years from the discharge of the debt.

Where financial checks reveal that applicants have defaulted credit accounts, it is our policy not to proceed with the application until the defaults have been satisfied.

https://www.gmp.police.uk/police-forces/greater-manchester-police/areas/greater-manchester-force-content/careers/careers/police-staff/eligibility-for-staff-roles/
    Best to discuss with your particular force - have you not got an eligibility criteria document ?

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not just the Police but in many lines of work. An undischarged CCJ is going to be viewed negatively. In your own interests to start making inroads. 
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all 

I wasn’t sure where to post this but hopefully I’ve got the right place! 

I’ve been offered an interview with my local police force as a civilian but obviously this will be subject to vetting. 

I have 2 CCJ’s - one is discharged and the other isn’t. It’s a couple of years old and in the amount of £3,500. I have never made a payment towards it. 

My question is - is this an automatic bar to entry? It would really be a stretch for me to clear this and the only way I could possibly do it would be to borrow the money 

anyway, I’m just wanting some advice on the above so I know if it’s even worth me turning up for the interview in the first place! 

Thank you in advance 
    Although the exact policy may vary for force to force the example posted above from GMP is pretty clear.

I would be very surprised indeed (worried even) if they were willing to accept an undischarged CCJ.

The only (very slight) chance might be if you are totally up front and explain all the circumstances.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback