Loan in my name.

Options
HelpmeMSE1
HelpmeMSE1 Posts: 1 Newbie
I was in a common law partnership with my girlfriend. We lived together in her house for around 5 years. I was not on the mortgage. As she had bad credit score we agreed I would take out a loan in my name to install new windows and doors. We subsequently split and I have been paying ever since. The agreement is in my name solely. Do I have any rights? Does she have to pay? 

Many thanks. 

Comments

• CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the loan is in your name then you are solely responsible for repaying it.  If you had something in writing to state that she would repay you then you might have a chance of getting something back - but even then, the chances are very slim.  Unless you are still on amicable terms and she agrees to pay you half or whatever, then there's very little you can do from a legal point of view.
  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I was in a common law partnership with my girlfriend. We lived together in her house for around 5 years. I was not on the mortgage. As she had bad credit score we agreed I would take out a loan in my name to install new windows and doors. We subsequently split and I have been paying ever since. The agreement is in my name solely. Do I have any rights? Does she have to pay? 

Many thanks. 

There's no such thing as common law partnerships in any part of the UK.  The loan is in your name, and your name alone so you are legally responsible for repaying it.

The property might be solely in the name of your ex but as you paid for the new windows and doors you might be able to claim a beneficial interest in the property to try and recoup some/all of the loan that way.

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    If the loan was specifically for property improvements and can be evidenced as such you may well have gained a beneficial interest in the property. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback