Help understanding a LGPS increase which has become a significant decrease

Options
I'll confess that I always have difficulty with numbers and understanding how tax works. However, despite an increase of 6.7% in my local government pension the monthly amount I receive has gone down by almost £100 a month.

I have two LGPS (Avon Pension) pensions and a Hargreave Lansdown SIPP in drawdown, throughout last year they paid:

Avon Pension A £498.30 per month
Avon Pension B £403.26 per month
HL SIPP             £923.00 per month

April they paid
Avon Pension A £427.18
Avon Pension B £427.55
HL SIPP             £1007.00 (increased drawdown to help against inflation)

My tax allowance for 2024/25 is the same as last year, £12570. Accoprding to the letter from HMRC codes for 2024/25 is

Avon Pension 491L
Avon Pension BR
HL SIPP 765T

I have tried the Avon Pension website which rather unhelpfully has a notice at the top saying they are aware that lots of people have enquires regarding tax changes...

I have tried calling HMRC, but it's a 40 minute wait!

Can anyone shed any light on this please? Thank you

Comments

• Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you also in receipt of State Pension and if so, how much?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,672 Forumite
    Options
    You need to post the gross (taxable) payments but it's likely to just be you are paying the tax slightly differently now, more on Avon A and less on HL SIPP.
  • worlestone
    worlestone Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. I think I've found the answer, I had not checked the 2023/24 tax code notice, it seems that HMRC have decided to change around the tax free amounts on my pensions, so two now have a tax free element and one pension is at basic rate tax, hence why there's a huge chunk missing! Tax free amount is still the same £12,570 pa, frozen again, so effectively paying more tax and reducing my income. 

I'm glad there's an election coming, I'm feeling very angry about this.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. I think I've found the answer, I had not checked the 2023/24 tax code notice, it seems that HMRC have decided to change around the tax free amounts on my pensions, so two now have a tax free element and one pension is at basic rate tax, hence why there's a huge chunk missing! Tax free amount is still the same £12,570 pa, frozen again, so effectively paying more tax and reducing my income. 

As long as the correct amount of tax is being paid, how will changing the Government help (even if it does in other areas)? It is unlikely in the current situation the country (world) is in that any party prospecting to be in Government next year will be reducing income tax levels / increasing allowances in a hurry, and there's probably more chance if the current lot manage to scrape in than if there's a change.
  • Lemon_dr1zzle
    Lemon_dr1zzle Posts: 96 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 April at 1:37PM
    Options

There isn’t anything ‘missing’. Your gross amounts have increased therefore your tax has increased. 
    If you think your tax codes are wrong speak to HMRC 
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You may not have been paid the full increase this month yet. My LGPS payslip told me I had something like 23 days at the new rate and 7 at the old rate. (I can't currently locate it.)  Next month I'll get the full increase. 
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Options
    Wife is 8 months into her LGPS pension and received this month's payment on the 1st but still does not have a payslip and has not been informed about her increase.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OldBeanz said:
    Wife is 8 months into her LGPS pension and received this month's payment on the 1st but still does not have a payslip and has not been informed about her increase.
    It's all online now - pay information, payslips and P60s (if applicable).

When your wife retired, her pensions paperwork should have included information on setting up her account.  Or her payroll (not her LGPS) will be able to help.
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you're receiving more than last year pre-tax then you should end up with more post tax. Most likely thing, assuming you were taxed correctly last year, is that HMRC hasn't allocated the odes correctly so you're not getting all of your allowance.

I expect the increase means their estimates are no longer correct. To correct this you need to update the figures on your online account.

For each of your three income sources, can you give the estimated annual figure, and the tax code used for 24/25?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback