Previous owner being chased for foreign debts

Options
somethingsomething123
somethingsomething123 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 2 May at 10:55AM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello,

After a bit of advice please. We bought our house in June 2023 from the children of the deceased owner. Since then we have been getting letters from Russia chasing debts in the name of the Son of the previous owner. As far as we know he lives overseas and we've been sending them back as return to sender. Today the postman came to the door with a special delivery from Russia with his name on it, and I explained the situation and he took the letter away with him. I'm concerned that debt collectors are going to start showing up at our door, and if they do are they allowed to break in? I'm on maternity leave at the moment and going back to work in June so the thought that I could come home one day and the house has been cleared terrifies me. 

Does anyone know our best course of action here or do we just have to wait and see what happens? 

Thanks in advance 😊

P.s. New to this, so not sure what category this belongs in!

Comments

• DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No debt collectors / bailiffs can't break into someone's house !
    It's not your debt, so not your problem.
    Don't get further involved with another person's financial situation.
    Simply continue to send any correspondence not addressed to yourselves back to the sender.

• CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster.
    Firstly, it's vanishingly unlikely that a Russian creditor would even bother sending bailiffs round in the first place (in fact, I'm not even sure they'd be allowed to).
    Secondly, and almost as an aside from the first point, a bailiff is absolutely not allowed to force entry.
    Thirdly, remember that a debt is associated with a person, not an address.
    You have absolutely nothing to worry about.  Just continue to return any correspondence, unopened, with "Not known at this address" written on the envelope.  I wouldn't even bother to attempt to contact them to say the person no longer lives there - just continue to return any correspondence and they'll get the message eventually.

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don`t really know where to start with this one, please do your research, everything you fear will never, and can never happen, suffice to say the debt is not yours, so you have nothing to worry about.

The legal process to get that debt enforced in the UK would be monumental, forget bailiffs, forget debt collectors, you have more chance of winning Lotto/Thunderball and Euromillions Jackpots all in the same week, than you have of having a Russian debt collector knock on your door lol, your fears are pure fantasy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback