Boosting your state pension should now be quicker and easier as new online tool launches

Options
A new online service designed to simplify how you check and pay for voluntary national insurance (NI) contributions is now available. It should make the state pension boosting process quicker and easier for most people – though some will still need to call the Government helplines.

Boosting your state pension should now be quicker and easier as new online tool launches – here's how it works

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• eastcorkram
    eastcorkram Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just tried that, but I'm still locked out. Well, I can log in ok, but once in, it won't let me view forecast or NI record. This started to happen when I bought an extra year. They told me it'll be 10 to 12 weeks to resolve. 
  • njm123
    njm123 Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not sure it's quite right yet.

You get asked a couple questions about self-employment and living abroad.

Then asked about when you intend stopping paying NI.

I've retired early so  chose I I've already stopped paying.   Answer from App you have no options, Call the Future Pension Centre (I have 5 gap years showing on my account;  with a 6th due to show soon).

So try again and LIE that I'll pay til October,   now I have 5 options. All of which are only "right" if you assume last year is PAID already as they complete 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 years respectively.      

Ok the last of these "Years" is one I won't make contributions for but if the App is either  counting a partial year as a whole one or assuming I paid last year as that's not in my records yet.

Think I'll wait a bit and see if the app gets sorted or others succeed with the Lying method, suspect I'll have to call the FPC later in the year to sort my cheap years.   At least by then I should see the year 6 gap appear in my NI record so should be able to pay all at once using the "lie" method.

One reason I'm wary is I'm aware this Government don't like the economically inactive so I wouldn't be surprised to see barriers put in the way of that group using an easier way to pay.  Although a bug/incompetence is a more likely explanation.

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just tried it.  It looks EXACTLY the same as the old check your state pension page, I do not see ANYTHING different at all and certainly nothing new about filling incomplete years.

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 April at 4:46PM
    Options
    ProDave said:
    Just tried it.  It looks EXACTLY the same as the old check your state pension page, I do not see ANYTHING different at all and certainly nothing new about filling incomplete years.
    The NI record pages are certainly different with paying options.  It splits the record into pre and post 2006, no longer payable and payable, so will change to 6 back years from next April with a click button to fillable years with costs then a further button to check if you can pay on line.
  • ProDave
    Options
    molerat said:
    ProDave said:
    The NI record pages are certainly different with paying options.  It splits the record into pre and post 2006, no longer payable and payable, so will change to 6 back years from next April with a click button to fillable years with costs then a further button to check if you can pay on line.
    I don't see that pre / post 2006 split I just see exactly as it was before.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ProDave said:
    molerat said:
    ProDave said:
    I don't see that pre / post 2006 split I just see exactly as it was before.

• ProDave
    Options

Same old display for me, no split, no more details or options, exactly as before.
  • Goldfinger
    Goldfinger Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    What is being done to help those without passport or photo driving licence get the all important gov gateway ID so they are not excluded from this online service. Blue badge and tax coding notice not acceptable!! Come on Martin please sort it
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    edited 30 April at 3:14AM
    Options
    Works for me, although it’s not immediately obvious that the route to follow is to click into NI Record then ‘View Payable Gaps’. It identifies I have a part year a few years ago but when I follow the process to check if this is worth paying, and say that I’m working this (final) year, it confirms there’s no need to top up the previous year.
  • horsewithnoname
    horsewithnoname Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    ProDave said:

Same old display for me, no split, no more details or options, exactly as before.
    Probably because you have no payable years. 
    I don’t have the extra button on mine, but my friend who has some years available to pay does. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback