Martin stirring the pot on children's savings (again)

Options
artyboy
artyboy Posts: 942 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 29 April at 10:36AM in Savings & investments
I see today's poll is once again pushing the notion that it can be ok to raid money out of savings accounts in your kids name.

Save for them or don't, but please can we stop rationalising theft, whatever the perceived justification? Martin might as well say it's ok to nick food from the supermarket if you're hard up and hungry. 

Aside from the dodgy morality, it also perpetuates the notion that 'parking' money with your children to save on tax is fine. And yes, I know about the £100 interest rule, just as you all know how easy it is to get around...

Comments

• Sg28
    Sg28 Posts: 389 Forumite
    Options
    Where is this poll?
    Ex Sg27 (long forgotten log in details)

Massive thank you to those on the long since defunct Matched Betting board.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    artyboy said:
    I see today's poll is once again pushing the notion that it can be ok to raid money out of savings accounts in your kids name.
    Just had a look around but can't find what you're referring to in places like https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/poll/, can you share a link please?
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 942 Forumite
    Options
    He does daily polls that show up on Twitter/FB - this is the one...

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/G93CL1MWaJw9zB9u/?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not sure it's 'pushing' any 'notions' as such, just asking the question in a reasonably balanced way, or do you feel that even the act of asking the question is implicitly countenancing something that you don't consider acceptable?
    If parents are struggling with high interest debt, is it morally acceptable to withdraw money they'd previously put in their four year old's savings to help reduce what they owe?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I suppose the problem is that most would consider it acceptable if the money were replaced (perhaps paying the same interest as the bank would have so that the child hasn’t lost out), but it might be a slippery slope as if you really need to raid your child’s account, is it really likely that you’ll ever succeed in putting it back? That the debt is high interest suggests that the parents’ credit isn’t great, and barring things like illness/job loss, it would suggest a tendency to live beyond their means. 

Savings should be part of the household budget so that the money isn’t missed and the question of taking it back from the child doesn’t materialise. Most children will also have money in there that wasn’t given by the debtor. I would say that’s another level of unacceptable - how good are their records so that they don’t touch those funds? 
  • Zoe02
    Zoe02 Posts: 479 Forumite
    Options
    The poll on twitter.
    Lending and repaying it back not bad but then again some people are really struggling.

• CrickJon
    CrickJon Posts: 70 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 April at 4:56PM
    Options
    artyboy said:

Save for them or don't, but please can we stop rationalising theft, whatever the perceived justification? Martin might as well say it's ok to nick food from the supermarket if you're hard up and hungry. 

Aside from the dodgy morality, it also perpetuates the notion that 'parking' money with your children to save on tax is fine. And yes, I know about the £100 interest rule, just as you all know how easy it is to get around...
    While I disagree with parents raiding their kids savings in hard times, I've fortunately never been in that position to know how desperate I might feel.

If these parents have built up the savings for their kids themselves, it is far too strong to label it 'theft' in my eyes however.
  • jameseonline
    jameseonline Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 April at 6:09PM
    Options
    There's some decent child savings accounts these days aren't there?, I wouldn't have any issues with people getting them especially as cost of living etc is a thing.

There's also poopy child savings accounts, Nationwide show me a Flex savings account in their app, yet I have no kids and nearly in my 40s😏🙄😒🤔😌

Agree about social media, there is a need to do something to make people think, engage, react etc, so a video, a poll, whatever.

Child accounts aren't new things, but hey let's combine it with an up to date thing, oooh cost of living, BOOM you got your social media thing for today.

Also it might not provoke a bad response, could be a good response, could be both, that's social media for you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback