Claiming back tax on redundancy pay 4 years ago?

Options
Took voluntary severance in July 2020 and was paid £41k before tax and then 40% tax on the £11k over £30k so £4447 tax was paid I believe. I then took a DC pension which was transferred to Aegon and put into drawdown.
Just now sorting out claiming my FS pension and they wanted to know how much of the LTA I had used so went back through the paperwork and noticed that although the £4447 was listed in the total amount to be transferred to Aegon it never got paid to Aegon.
So assuming this never got claimed back, is it now too late? 

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Krakkkers said:
    Took voluntary severance in July 2020 and was paid £41k before tax and then 40% tax on the £11k over £30k so £4447 tax was paid I believe. I then took a DC pension which was transferred to Aegon and put into drawdown.
    Just now sorting out claiming my FS pension and they wanted to know how much of the LTA I had used so went back through the paperwork and noticed that although the £4447 was listed in the total amount to be transferred to Aegon it never got paid to Aegon.

Not sure I follow this!

And it's a bit vague.  

Why would tax your employer deducted be paid to a pension company?

Did you need to file a Self Assessment return for the 2020-21 tax year?
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    edited 28 April at 1:59PM
    Options
    Krakkkers said:

Which paper work? That for your severance pay, your DC pension or Aegon?  Is some money still left in your DC pension? Best tp get the facts very clear before you start chasing HMRC.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you saying you paid the £11k into the pension post tax and it should have been claimed back by the pension provider?
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Its ok, i figured it out myself, it was my misunderstanding.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback