Any way to try and claw back my bad investment choices/don't laugh please.

Options

I have a private personal pension and 2.5 years ago I was only in Fund A. I then looked at the last couple of years performance of alternative funds and although Fund A was good, Funds B, C and D had done better. So I switch 75% of my investment out of Fund A and put 25% each into Funds B,C and D. Putin invaded the Ukraine in early 2022 and there has been a cost of living crisis so all funds dropped by up to a 3rd each. I decided to wait and see if things would get better, but 2 years later the value of Fund A is now higher than when I switched out of it 2.5 years ago, and Funds B,C and D are lower. I’ve worked it out that if I had not did the switch out of Fund A back then, my pension would be worth £43,000 more than it is now. I hold my hands up and say it was me. I was unadvised and did this all myself. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but back then I thought I was making a good decision. This is on my mind constantly and is messing with my head.

I know this was my own doing and I and I am responsible, but is there any legal or financial services action that I can take against my pension company for myself not understanding the risks, the level of loss etc? Not blaming the company at all, but I am just asking is there is any way or do I just learn from the experience? Much appreciated.

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,639 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

but I am just asking is there is any way or do I just learn from the experience? Much appreciated.

Just learn from the experience or pay an IFA to manage it for you so you're not tempted to do the same again
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • steven333
    steven333 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. 

Like you said, hindsight is 20/20. We don't really know anything about these funds, were funds B, C and D purportedly higher risk than Fund A?

Worth saying I have no idea what recourse you have if any. 
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 26 April at 4:52PM
    Options
    Legally, no chance. You'll have seen "prices can go down as well as up" and agreed to it.

Morally, I'd be embarrassed to even ask. Hopefully you're still young enough for Funds B, C and D to rise again. I'm sure your head might be telling you to dump these funds now; make that decision from a position of knowledge and calm reflection, not because they've dropped and they might feel a bit toxic to you now.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You will not be the first or the last investor, to switch funds and wish they had not. I have done it several times, luckily the hit was not so large, and also balanced out by switches that ended up more positive.
    With different market conditions it could have gone the other way.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but back then I thought I was making a good decision. This is on my mind constantly and is messing with my head.

It sure is. You are bound to be fed up about it but at the end of the day nobody has died. It is not as you have fallen for a scam and lost everything.

As a positive move forward, suggest you post up the Funds involved and you should get some informed comments.

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,196 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    All water under the bridge. Chalk it up to experience. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know this was my own doing and I and I am responsible, but is there any legal or financial services action that I can take against my pension company for myself not understanding the risks, the level of loss etc?
    Pension providers take instructions from you or your financial adviser.  They have no liability for your actions.

Not blaming the company at all, but I am just asking is there is any way or do I just learn from the experience?
    You do appear to be blaming them as you have asked about taking legal action against them.

The bottom line is you bypassed the channel that gives you consumer protection and decided to DIY.   DIY means you take on the responsibility for your actions.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please name all the funds, otherwise nobody can really comment.
  • Ibrahim5
    Ibrahim5 Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    An IFA could easily have done the same and you would have lost even more paying their ridiculous fees.
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I had a few too many pints last night. Could I perhaps sue the pub for the distress I felt this morning?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback