Care home fee annuity versus pension annuity?

Options
Talking to someone who is thinking of buying a care home fee annuity for an elderly relative using the proceeds from the sale of his previous residence, I am left puzzled as to the difference between a care home fee annuity and any other annuity such as that from a pension.  Why are there apparently only 4 providers of care home fee annuities whereas there are lots for pension annuities. 

Thanks for any explanation. 

Comments

• MetaPhysical
    MetaPhysical Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have also wondered exactly the same.  Social care costs are one of the most ruinous of expenses so why isn't there more of a financial industry to save up and provide for it?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,750 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Organista said:
    Talking to someone who is thinking of buying a care home fee annuity for an elderly relative using the proceeds from the sale of his previous residence, I am left puzzled as to the difference between a care home fee annuity and any other annuity such as that from a pension.  Why are there apparently only 4 providers of care home fee annuities whereas there are lots for pension annuities. 

They're different products and potential annuity providers have different appetites/capacity for each.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm guessing
    Does the "Care Home Fee" annuity cover care home fees, whatever they rise by?
    A pension would only rise by the chosen measure of inflation.
  • Organista
    Organista Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    YBR said:
    I'm guessing
    Does the "Care Home Fee" annuity cover care home fees, whatever they rise by?
    A pension would only rise by the chosen measure of inflation.
    Nope.  Options from the prodiers are things like indexed by RPI, RPI+2%, or no indexing.
  • Organista
    Organista Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Organista said:

They're different products and potential annuity providers have different appetites/capacity for each.
    But surely it doesn't matter what the money is for.  All that matters to the provider is how long they will have to pay it for, isn't it?
  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    A care fees annuity isn’t taxed but it’s a huge gamble,  if you die after 6 months it’s gone, I’m not sure if there can be guarantee periods. 
    A normal annuity, when over and above a State pension, is taxed and when you are talking the amounts needed for care fees,
    a proportion would be at 40%. 

• More_complicated_than_that
    Options
    Organista said:
    Talking to someone who is thinking of buying a care home fee annuity for an elderly relative using the proceeds from the sale of his previous residence,
    SVaz said:
    A normal annuity, when over and above a State pension, is taxed and when you are talking the amounts needed for care fees,
    a proportion would be at 40%. 

No, that's not right.  When an annuity is purchased out of your own funds (i.e. not from a pension pot), the capital element of the annuity is not taxed.  The rest is taxed as savings income.  What is the capital element and what is the income element is a bit complex (e.g. it will depend on purchase price, age and actuarial tables). 
  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I stand corrected.  I’d missed the bit about it being from non pension funds
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    SVaz said:
    A care fees annuity isn’t taxed but it’s a huge gamble,  if you die after 6 months it’s gone, I’m not sure if there can be guarantee periods. 

You can include capital protection. 
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Organista said:

There aren't lots of providers for  annuities. There are only around 6 or so.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback