USS - growth fund

Options

I started with the USS investment builder in 2016.  My main aim was to preserve child benefit by being under the income threshold and also get some additional pension.

I put the funds, plus employer contribution to DC, in USS growth fund which was marked as high risk, but potential high return and seemed an easy choice.  There has been some growth but not that much in comparison.  I have read it seems to be underperforming and is not really a high return option.

My situation is I have about 30k in the USS growth fund and want to get a better return.  Timescale is 5-10 years or so as I am 52.  I have many years in the DB scheme.  I know it is risky whatever you do and past performance does not guarantee future performance but I was thinking of moving it to the Global Equity Fund.  I also have the issue that is one largish amount, so drip feeding is not possible.  Am putting future monthly contributions into Global Equity Fund and Sharia.

I have benefitted anyway from preserving child benefit, not spending the money and there is no loss, just not much growth in comparison

I am seeing a financial advisor but any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• 2nd_time_buyer
    2nd_time_buyer Posts: 776 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did the same. The growth fund only has around 50% in equities. And those are disproportionately weighted towards the UK. 

My rationale for transferring the whole pot (and future contributions)into the global equity fund was:

1) I have sufficient DB to be able to take more risk 
    2) I didn't want to second guess myself by investing in specific regions/sectors (I don't know enough)

The test will be, how I will feel if/when the stock markets take a big hit e.g. 25% and whether I will hold my nerve.

• swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 868 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I have all my DC pot in the Sharia fund and the Global Equities fund.  I put 50% into each.  Its currently about 55% Sharia and 45% GE, mainly due to the better performance of the Sharia fund.  Very happy with how both have performed thus far.
  • Simes122
    Simes122 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It’s not all or nothing.  You can rebalance your holdings by percentage across whatever funds you choose - for existing and future contributions. 
  • deltrotter
    deltrotter Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Exactly the same as swindiff for me
  • rafa2000
    rafa2000 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had all my investment builder pot in the Ethical Equity fund, but it has been lagging some of the other funds. I therefore split future contributions into a third Ethical Equity, a third Sharia, and a third Global Equity. The Sharia fund is the best performing, but also has investments in oil companies, so wanted to avoid putting all my money in that. The equity funds have all outperformed the USS growth fund over the last 5 years by 30% plus, so would seem more likely to give higher returns over the next 5-10 years . . . But the growth fund is more diversified so you might think it was a safer bet if there was a downturn.
  • Asimovs_nightfall
    Options
    Just a question, but do we know why the Sharia fund is performing well in comparison?
  • 2nd_time_buyer
    2nd_time_buyer Posts: 776 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 April at 4:35PM
    Options
    Just a question, but do we know why the Sharia fund is performing well in comparison?
    It is comparatively tech heavy compared to the Global Equity and has less holdings in banks/finance.

But keep in mind the Global Equity itself is dominated by US shares (around 70%) and around 30% of the S&P 500 is accounted for by the Magnificent 7 (Apple, Alphabet, Microsoft, Amazon, Meta, Tesla, and Nvidia). Indeed those 7 account for around 17% in the Global Equity fund. 

So a Global equity fund whilst "diversified" would be very sensitive to a US tech slowdown/crash; the Sharia fund more so. 
  • J_USS
    J_USS Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments/suggestions.  I am just thinking about the US shares valuation at the moment.

Appreciate it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure