Borrowing against house as LPA

Options
ClaraSais
ClaraSais Posts: 23 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
Hi,
Not sure this is the right section to post in so please advise if not. 
Bit of a complex situation. Dad owns house and I have LPA as he had a severe stroke which has left him housebound, as the house is up steps which he can’t access. I’ve looked at various options but all costly and impractical with stair lift option. House has garage with asbestos roof which has collapsed as dad left it to go to ruin. I did look at converting it to an annexe which would be ground floor level so easier access for dad. Got quoted around £45,000 for it as has retaining wall to the field next to us (owned by farmer) All dads savings gone into his care so no finance left for annexe. No grants or funding available for asbestos removal. Social services been vague about whether dad can be left on his own or not so not sure if he could use the annexe but would have better access (and to a shower room which he currently can’t access) Even just to be able to get sone sun on his face would be nice (he can’t sit up) My question is - dad owns house outright, could I borrow against the house with dads permission to build the annexe? Is that negative equity? Whichever way I still have a collapsing garage roof with asbestos in it. Council won’t help. Tia 

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     Not a clue about the LPA loan situation but do you know about this? 

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,999 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    if he if he owns the property, you can’t borrow against it. Arguably you, acting in his interests, could set up a loan in his name with the house as security. Whether a lender would agree would depend on the income he has, unless you were looking at equity loans where the interest is rolled up and charged on sale.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback