Teachers Pension Refunds before 2016

Options
I've requested a refund from the Teacher's Pension Scheme as I didn't qualify for the benefits (less than 2 years service). I received a letter today stating that I can only be repaid for part of the money I put in from April 2016 as, prior to this, the scheme was contracted out and I paid NI contributions at a lower rate. 

Does anyone know how I can claim this money back / transfer it to a different pot? 

The Teacher's Pension scheme is a nightmare - when you call up, people can't talk to you about your pension and all communication done via secure messages. Finding them really challenging to deal with. 

Any advice / help with this would be much appreciated. 

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know how I can claim this money back / transfer it to a different pot? 
    The letter says you will retain benefits in the TPS and you cannot have a refund of contributions.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Hey_Jude_UK
    Hey_Jude_UK Posts: 11 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Prior to me contacting them, I was told I was not eligible for benefits and could apply for a refund. I applied for a refund and then got told I now qualify for retirement benefits without completing two years service so the information is confusing. Before I applied for a refund, I was not told the info in the letter above so that is why I am checking it. 

Ideally, I would like to take my money out of this scheme so I was wondering if anyone else has had success with finding a way to do this. 
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The letter above explains why a refund cannot be made.

You have a deferred TPS pension in respect of the years in question.

See below.

https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/working-life/deferring-your-pension/what-happens-to-your-benefits.aspx

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Prior to me contacting them, I was told I was not eligible for benefits and could apply for a refund. I applied for a refund and then got told I now qualify for retirement benefits without completing two years service so the information is confusing. Before I applied for a refund, I was not told the info in the letter above so that is why I am checking it. 

Ideally, I would like to take my money out of this scheme so I was wondering if anyone else has had success with finding a way to do this. 
    Why do you want to do that (not a provocative question, but I'm wondering if there's something you may not have fully understood)?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Hey_Jude_UK
    First Post
    Options
    Marcon said:

Why do you want to do that (not a provocative question, but I'm wondering if there's something you may not have fully understood)?
    I have about five pensions so I was looking to consolidate. With the TPS, they have never sent any communication (not received letters or emails) and they have never provided a statement. Initially, when I submitted a message on their website asking for a statement, I was told that I had less than two years service and was not entitled to benefits BUT I could apply for a refund. After being told this, I applied for a refund.  I have now have received this letter, which gives a partial refund but then says I cannot get a refund for the money prior to April 2016 and will be entitled to benefits for this period. Non of this was explained BEFORE I applied for a refund so it's really confusing. I don't understand why I was told I didn't qualify for benefits and now I do. I also don't understand why I have never received a statement. 
  • Hey_Jude_UK
    First Post
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    The letter says you will retain benefits in the TPS and you cannot have a refund of contributions.

Before initially applying for a refund, I was told I could not have a statement and was not entitled to benefits from TPS as I had less than two years service so I do not understand the contradictory info. 
  • Hey_Jude_UK
    First Post
    Options

xylophone said:
    The letter above explains why a refund cannot be made.

You have a deferred TPS pension in respect of the years in question.

See below.

There has been contradictory information from TPS regarding this - previously told I wasn't entitled to any benefits and that I could request a refund. I requested a refund.  Now told that I can't have a refund and that I am entitled to benefits with less than two years service. This is why I'm confused. 
  • greatkingrat
    greatkingrat Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    July 2013 - March 2016 is over two years anyway?
  • Hey_Jude_UK
    First Post
    Options
    July 2013 - March 2016 is over two years anyway?
    It's not two years in the scheme, it's two years service and I had 1 year 188 days. 
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The dates quoted in the letter (11 Jul 13 to 31 March 16) are more than two years.  Are these dates wrong?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback