Train strike - split tickets - refunds

Options
Hi
I booked an entire journey via the Trainline. This was a split ticket booking. The journey was from Edinburgh to Southampton parkway (we had flown to Scotland) and were heading home. Two rail operators - LNER and SWR.

SWR and Tube was the leg from London Kings Cross via Waterloo  to Southampton. On the day of travel SWR went on strike. We managed to travel to London Kings cross and en route I called  GWR, Cross Country and the Trainline that our SWR. We were advised by all that our  tickets would not be valid on GWR and Cross Country - our alternative route to Southampton. The adviser from the Trainline told us the whole journey would be refunded. I am not sure if he grasped I was already on the train on first keg of journey even although I explained we were travelling on that train as i called.

Note we could not change our travel dates as we had a family event to attend, elderly relatives to visit and work dates to respect and had to pay for hotel stay in Edinburgh.

On arrival in London, we got to Paddington and purchased tickets there for the new route. These were significantly more expensive (more than 3 times) than the price of our original tickets for that leg.  I am claiming a refund from the Trainline. What should I expect as a refund given I completed stage one of the journey? I would be happy to receive the cost of the new tickets I had to buy. 

Note the entire journey was booked well in advance before strike dates were announced. 

Any advice welcome as i feel Trainline are just going to refund me £22 whereas the new tickets cost c. £70.
Thank you

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport