Short-Term Carer's Allowance

Options
Hey everyone, 

I'm getting Carer's Allowance for my son, but he's going to university soon so I will have to stop getting the allowance when they move out. 

When my son comes home for Easter/Christmas/Summer, will I be able to claim for Carer's Allowance then, even though it's only for 2-6 weeks at a time?

It doesn't say in the eligibility that caring has to be for a certain duration, and I'll definitely be caring for more than 35 hours a week, like I do now. I don't see why I shouldn't, but I don't know how this would be possible if it takes them 3 weeks+ to review the application.

If I apply, how would I tell them my change of circumstance (my son going back to uni) if they haven't accepted the application?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who is providing the care while he is away? Can it go back and fore between people like that?
    Otherwise you may get a question as to how he can manage without support during term time but needs it during the holidays?

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ACFRSQuestions
    Options
    He will be paying for support that he gets via Disabled Student's Allowance, but that support will only be available at university, not when he's at 'home'.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @Alice_Holt, any idea? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Providing you are caring for 35 hrs a week, It should be possible.

My suggestion - 
    I'd turn it around and write to the CA unit setting out the dates (for the academic year ahead) when you won't be providing 35 hrs of care as your son is away and will be paying for support that he gets via Disabled Student's Allowance. 
    Ask them to suspend payment of CA during these periods.

Keep copies of correspondence and detailed notes of any phone calls to CA (for instance notifying CA of any errors in applying your information to the CA claim) . Then you have complied with your responsibilities to notify the CA of changes, and the onus is on CA to implement the correct action. In theory any overpayments then result from official error, and may not be repayable. 

Whether CA can manage to operate this correctly remains debatable, thence the need to keep all documentation, contact details, etc. 

Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback