Virgin - no default after 6 months

Options
6 payments have been missed on my Virgin cards, still no defaults and they still continue to apply interest and charges. How long can this situation continue? Thanks. 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,087 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    have you talked to them about this?  

why wouldn't they apply interest if you're not paying and also not talking to them??
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • freshstart2023
    freshstart2023 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am hoping to start a DMP and the advice on the forum has been to ignore and not make contact. I was wondering how long things can continue like this before defaulting. Thanks 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,902 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As long as it takes, guidance states defaults can be applied after between 3/6 missed contractual repayments, but in practice it can take as long as a creditor wishes, sometimes they don`t default at all, treat every account on its own merits.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • freshstart2023
    Options
    Thanks Sourcrates, that’s very helpful. I didn’t realise it could be a ‘how long is a piece of string’ type scenario..will just need to sit tight in that case. Thankyou! 
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nothing to stop you setting up nominal payments to any other creditor who has defaulted debts.

Just make sure you do save anything you are not paying currently into your emergency fund.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • freshstart2023
    Options
    Thanks RAS, I will do. I’m just awaiting them to be sold on or at least to receive correspondence seeking payment and I will absolutely get something set up. I can’t wait to get everything in place and actually start making a dent in it 
  • MrRichTea
    MrRichTea Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    I've seen so many posts on here about Virgin being far & wide the worse for dragging out missed payments / not defaulting, I think I saw 17 months other day, I would prepare for a long-hual. good luck.
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MrRichTea said:
    I've seen so many posts on here about Virgin being far & wide the worse for dragging out missed payments / not defaulting, I think I saw 17 months other day, I would prepare for a long-hual. good luck.
    They were absolutely terrible with me and didn't default me until 18 months after I'd stopped paying. I don't know why they make It so difficult for people, Barclaycard defaulted me after three months and backdated the default to the date Stepchange told them I'd started a DMP. I made a big mistake in following Stepchange's advice and starting the DMP straightaway which probably had some bearing on how bad they were, although Barclaycard treated me as well as they could possibly could in the same circumstances.
  • Superhoopza
    Superhoopza Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is really important when people advise DMPs, yes defaults clear after 6 years but if it takes up to a year in some cases to get a default, in reality you are looking at 7 years until you have good credit history. Yes there's lots of other factors in play but I rarely see this mentioned when DMP and default advice is given.
  • freshstart2023
    Options
    This is true and the charges/interest definitely rack up over such a period also 😭
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback